Zucchini and chickpea hummus. Not only does the zucchini add some fun texture, color and zippiness to the hummus, but it adds some extra nutrition as well, in the form of extra fiber, vitamins A and C, magnesium and potassium. Wash the outside of the can of chickpeas and then open it. Zucchini replaces chickpeas in this recipe, making it lower in carbohydrates and legume-free for those who don't tolerate them well.
Zucchini Hummus is on the menu today! Grilling the zucchini gives the zucchini hummus an earthy smoky flavor which I especially love. Lighter than chickpea hummus, less intense than baba ganouje (sorry, I cannot spell). You can have Zucchini and chickpea hummus using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Zucchini and chickpea hummus
- Prepare 1 can of hick peas ( drained and rinsed, 1/4 cup of water reserved).
- You need 1 of large zucchini.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of tahini.
- Prepare 1 of lemon, juiced.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 large of garlic clove.
This is a great recipe – the ingredients are beautifully proportioned. It's even better made with dried and home-prepped chickpeas, and absolutely stellar if you use a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, should you have one lying around 😋, instead of a. In original chickpea hummus, the chickpeas are cooked beforehand. I'm wondering if the zucchini could be steamed first.
Zucchini and chickpea hummus step by step
- Cut zucchini into chunks (skin on or off, your preference).
- Put all ingredients into blender or food processor, I used Ninja and blend until smooth. Add reserved water from can as needed..
- Try if it needs little more salt or lemon juice, if so add it and give few more pulses.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, best overnight. Serve with veggies and pita chips for dipping.
- I added finely chopped roasted peppers as that's my favorite addition to hummus. You can add olives, pine nuts, cilantro…. However you like your store bought hummus.
Danielle, No the zucchini does not have to be cooked first. Though you are absolutely right about the chickpeas, they must always be precooked. Super easy hummus from zucchini & tahini!! Ετοιμο σε μολισ πεντε λεπτα! Super easy hummus from zucchini & tahini!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with chickpeas.