General Tso Chicken & Rice. Okay, so in my humble opinion, when ordering General Tso Chicken, Sesame Chicken or Orange Chicken from a Chinese restaurant, the base sauce reicpe is the same, they simply add spice to the General Tso, sesame seeds to the Sesame Chicken, and orange peel (with a little spice) to the Orange Chicken. General Tso's Chicken was one of my favorite college days late night Chinese food delivery orders. The spicier, zestier less popular cousin to the ever popular Orange Chicken, General Tso's Chicken is a fantastic option when you're looking to change up your Chinese food routine.
General Tso's chicken is a sweet, deep-fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese restaurants. This healthier lightened up version is wok sautéed instead of deep fried, and made without all the added sugar used in most restaurants. General Tso's can be more than the saccharine, gloopy sauce soaked into flabby, over-breaded chicken to which we've become accustomed. You can have General Tso Chicken & Rice using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of General Tso Chicken & Rice
- You need 1 lb of chicken breast, cubed.
- You need of Oil for frying.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of minced ginger.
- It’s 1/2 Tsp of red chilli flakes.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- It’s 3 Tbs of rice vinegar.
- Prepare 3 Tbs of soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 Tsp of hoisin sauce.
- You need 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s 3 Tbs of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of white flour.
- It’s 3/4 cup of jasmine rice.
Indeed, very few people in China have even heard of General Tso's Chicken, let alone tried it. Cut chicken into chunks, then mix together with cornstarch. For the sauce: Mix together soy sauce, sugar, hoisin, vinegar, cornstarch. The Best Homemade General Tso's Chicken
General Tso Chicken & Rice step by step
- Toss the chicken with the quarter cup of flour and let sit while you mix the sauce ingredients..
- Put your jasmine rice in a pot with water and cook as directed on package..
- Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, and sugar in a small bowl and whisk together..
- Add the chicken to a pan with the oil and fry until crispy..
- Remove chicken from the pan..
- In a small pan add a tablespoon of the oil and add the chilli flakes, ginger and garlic. Cook until you smell the garlic..
- Add the sauce mixture and stir until slightly thickens (a few minutes).
- In a large bowl add the chicken and toss with the thickened sauce..
- Serve immediately over rice..
Get ready to make the best General Tso's chicken – b/c this homemade recipe rivals the best takeout!. Perfectly crispy coated chicken is tossed in a deliciously sweet and spicy sauce and served with steamed rice. General Tso's Chicken has been one of America's most popular Chinese takeout dishes for decades. This is even better than the BEST I have had in my fave Chinese restaurant. To make the meal go quickly prep everything the day or night before and store in the fridge.