Pan Mee Soup. Pan Mee – Malaysian dish with hand-torn noodles in a rich anchovy broth and topped with ground pork, veggie and crispy anchovies. Pan Mee (板面) is a popular Hakka noodle dish in Malaysia, especially in central and southern part of Malaysia where most Hakka people reside. Hakka Pan Mee is made with a simple flour-based dough, with anchovy broth, and topped with crispy fried anchovies.
Add noodles, vegetables and soup into a bowl. Top with meat and mushroom, shrimp, fried anchovies and fried shallots. Simple soupy flat noodles, we call it Pan Mee. You can cook Pan Mee Soup using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pan Mee Soup
- It’s 500 g of minced meat.
- You need 1/2 cup of minced garlic.
- You need 1/4 cup of dried chilies, sliced or chopped (if using flakes, try to find some with less seeds and more chili pieces).
- It’s 1/2 cup of minced onion.
- You need 1/2 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms (preferably dried & soaked overnight. Reserve soaking liquid).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dried anchovies (I prefer to grind up the anchovies using a food processor. If not available, you can replace it with some fried bacon. Please adjust salt content accordingly).
- You need 2 cups of pucuk manis (can be substituted with baby/round spinach).
- It’s 2 of anchovy/fish bouillon cubes.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need To taste of soy sauce.
- It’s To taste of salt.
- Prepare To taste of white pepper.
- You need To taste of sugar.
- You need of Optional: eggs/tofu.
- You need of Egg/rice noodles.
The noodle is made from flour, egg, water & oil. In this video, we use only anchovies (ikan bilis) & ginger for the broth. When the family wants Pan Mee, just mention about it and. Pan mee merupakan salah satu masakan popular di kalangan kaum cina.
Pan Mee Soup step by step
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of the oil in a soup pot. Stir fry 2 tbsp of garlic until fragrant then add the minced meat and 1/2 the anchovies. Sauté until cooked then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the meat is slightly browned. Season well with soy sauce and white pepper. You can add a few tablespoons of water/the soaking liquid from the mushrooms if it gets too dry. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside..
- In the pot with the remaining 1/4 cup of the mixture, add the bouillon cubes & 6 cups of water (you can also use the mushroom soaking liquid & top up water to get 6 cups). Allow the water to come to a boil and add spinach / pucuk manis. Cook for a few minutes until the color changes to a darker green, then turn off the heat and season the soup..
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil. It’s ok if it seems like a lot. Once hot,sauté onions and remaining anchovies and garlic until browned and slightly crispy. Add chili and sauté for a few minutes. Be prepared for the chili to make you cough! Season with soy sauce/salt/white pepper and sugar, if desired..
- To serve SOUP VERSION: you can either boil all the noodles in a separate pot and eat all immediately or ladle some of the soup into a separate smaller pot and boil them in individual servings. Boil the noodles in the soup and add an egg/some tofu to poach in once the noodles are almost done. Ladle the minced meat/chili on top as desired.
- To serve DRY version: boil the noodles separately and once cooked, immediately mix with the toppings – minced meat & chili. You can poach an egg and add it on top.
Secara tradisionalnya, pan mee akan dicarik-carik dari doh tepung untuk dijadikan mee. Rahsia pan mee sedap & "full-of-flavour. An authenthic Malaysian Chinese Hakka noodle, also locally known as Mee Hoon Kueh, literally translated as flat flour noodle. Similar egg noodle dish are also popular in China, Taiwan and Singapore. Really love this noodle when I was a kid, and here it is today, to share with you lovely people how this amazing soup pan mee!