Italian-Style Wheat Bread.
You can have Italian-Style Wheat Bread using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Italian-Style Wheat Bread
- You need 1 1/4 cup of warm water.
- You need 2 tbsp of light brown sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of ground ginger.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of bread flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of wheat flour.
- Prepare 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast.
Italian-Style Wheat Bread step by step
- For use with a bread machine, add all ingredients in the order listed and set to the wheat bread setting (some machines may vary). If your machine has a 'keep warm' feature, remove promptly to avoid overcooking the crust. Allow to cool completely before slicing..
- For traditional baking methods, use the following steps: In large bowl, whisk together yeast, brown sugar, ginger and water. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until a foam has developed..
- Add the salt and both types of flour and mix well..
- Remove dough and place on a lightly floured surface to knead for 10 minutes..
- In a clean bowl, add a teaspoon of olive oil to lightly grease the surface and transfer dough to bowl to rise. Turn dough in bowl to coat with oil and allow to sit in a warm environment for one hour, or until doubled in size..
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside..
- Punch down dough and return to lightly floured surface. Divide in half and shape into long loaves, pinching the edges to seal..
- Transfer loaves, seem side down, to baking sheet and allow to rise for another 45 minutes..
- Using a sharp knife, make 3 to 4 diagonal slices across the top of the dough..
- Preheat oven to 400°F and bake for 15 – 20 minutes..
- Let bread cool completely before slicing..