Low Carb Sicilian Meatballs. Mom's Low Carb Meatballs Recipe – Italian Style (Keto Meatballs) Whether you prefer your meatballs baked or fried, my keto low carb meatballs recipe produces the best Italian meatballs which are tender just like mom's. This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)These gluten-free low carb meatballs were inspired by my readers. Making keto meatballs Italian style has been on my list for a while now, but several reader requests for an easy low carb meatball recipe brought it to life sooner than I planned for.
They are always those giant bread crumb based Northern Italian meatballs. Well, I was raised Sicilian and Calabrian, and our meatballs are small, potent, meaty flavor. Add the meatballs, a few at a time, to the simmering soup. You can cook Low Carb Sicilian Meatballs using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Low Carb Sicilian Meatballs
- Prepare 3 lb of 85% lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of onion, minced.
- It’s 7 clove of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 large of handful Italian parsley.
- Prepare 1 cup of Romano cheese, grated.
- Prepare 3 large of eggs.
- You need 1 tbsp of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of salt.
Add the orzo and increase the heat to medium. Adding Moisture to Low Carb Meatballs. This recipe uses only the fat from the meat to add moisture, but there are many ways to add extra moisture, like using cream or shredded zucchini to the mixture. I didn't want to complicate things so I kept my ingredient list to a minimum but feel free to experiment any way you want.
Low Carb Sicilian Meatballs step by step
- OK, first off, if you want to go really authentic, make it 1 1/2 pound each of ground beef and ground pork..
- Now, throw everything into a large mixing bowl, and mix by hand..
- Roll the mixture into small meatballs. Golf ball is about as big as Sicilian Meatballs ever get, and often they're smaller..
- Add about five or six tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a two or three quart saucepan or large frying pan, and heat to medium..
- Fry the meatballs on medium for a few minutes per side, and I normally do at least three sides..
- Place the finished meatballs into a plate with a few layers of paper towel lining the bottom for drainage, and keep half an eye on that plate while finishing the rest in the pan. The aroma permeates the house and attracts vermin/children/spouses with a mind for repeated sampling. If you don't watch out, you end up with an empty dish after all that cooking..
- Serve in sauce, in Italian Wedding Soup, or as appetizers..
Baking vs Pan Frying Italian Meatballs Tender meatballs with lots of flavor are perfect for any low carb sauce. Make a big batch and freeze them to use as you need them. A huge dilemma of mine is wondering what I can whip up for dinner! I got tired of the usual salads and anything filled with chicken or mixed greens, which are the conventional dinner ideas for those on the keto diet. Juicy, tender, and full of flavor, a good italian meatball is a beautiful thing.