Refried Beans – Quick Stovetop Recipe. Smash bean mixture with a potato masher to desired texture. Squeeze lime juice over smashed beans and stir until combined. Delicious, healthy Refried Beans using dry beans – a simple vegan recipe with sooooooo much flavor!
Creamy and luscious, these Refried Beans are so comforting! I know for many of you, the thought of making your own refried beans from scratch is probably the last thing you want to think. Traditionally refried beans are made by cooking dry pinto beans for hours on the stovetop or a slow cooker. You can have Refried Beans – Quick Stovetop Recipe using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Refried Beans – Quick Stovetop Recipe
- You need 2 tbsp. of butter, divided.
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- You need 1 of jalapeno, seeds removed and diced (optional).
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 cans of (each 15 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of unsalted chicken or veggie broth.
- It’s 1 tsp. of chipotle chili powder.
- It’s 1 tsp. of ground cumin.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of oregano.
- You need of Juice from 1/2 lime.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp. of pepper.
Once the beans are tender, they are drained of the excess liquid and added to a hot pan with some kind of fat, usually lard. They are versatile and perfect with all your favorite Mexican inspired recipes! These refried beans are delicious and so easy to make. Plus, these beans are healthy, vegan and gluten free.
Refried Beans – Quick Stovetop Recipe step by step
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tbsp. of the butter over med-high heat. Once its melted, add the onion and jalapeno (if using). Cook, stirring often, until they're softened, about 5 minutes. Then stir in the garlic and cook until it's fragrant..
- Stir in the beans, broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano and let this mixture come up to a simmer. Once it begins to bubble, let it simmer for about 5 or so minutes, then remove the pan from the heat. Either use a masher to roughly mash the beans, or use a food processor for a smoother consistency..
- Once the beans are mashed, season with the lime juice, salt and pepper. Then stir in the additional tbsp. of butter until it's all melted and incorporated in. That's it! Serve it up with some yummy toppings..
These are the perfect side dish for a Tex Mex or Mexican meal. I'm so excited to share today's recipe with you! These are so easy and so so flavorful. You will never want to eat the canned beans again! But if you prefer to cook dry beans from scratch, I have also included directions below for how to make them in the Instant Pot, Crock-Pot or on the stovetop.