Southern Style Green Beans. Admittingly, the color of Southern-Style Green Beans isn't nearly as appealing as that of fresh green beans. But cook green beans low and slow in a broth flavored with bacon, and you'll go back for seconds and thirds. They're so good, you'd be content to eat a big plate of green beans for a meal.
The beans are cooked slowly for a long time with a bit of bacon and come out of the pot tasting, honestly, better than any veggie I've ever tried! Southern Style Green Beans are made with fresh green beans cooked low and slow flavored with salty bacon. This traditional southern side is served on just about every table in the south! You can have Southern Style Green Beans using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern Style Green Beans
- Prepare 4 cans of green beans.
- You need 1 of smoked Turkey leg.
- You need 3 of chicken bouillon cubes.
- You need 2 of Tblsp bacon grease.
- It’s 1 of Tblsp butter.
- Prepare 3 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of garlic salt.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
Home cooked vegetables are a staple in the south. As much we love all the new crunchy, barely blanched, paired-with-walnuts-and-feta green bean creations (and we truly do), there's still something so wonderful about the way a hambone broth infuses old-fashioned Southern-style green beans with a salty, meaty smokiness. Put green beans in pot- if canned add juices, if frozen add water enough to see but not cover beans- cook on medium heat. Fry bacon until cooked but not too crisp- drain on paper towel.
Southern Style Green Beans step by step
- Open canned beans and place into a pot and put heat on medium high.
- Add turkey leg and bring to a boil.
- Add the bouillon, bay leaves, bacon grease and butter and stir.
- While still boiling add garlic salt and black pepper then to a low simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally and your done !! ENJOY 🥰💋💋💋.
- You can double the recipe or add garlic or onion and saute first which I normally do but did not have them on hand this time 💋.
Cut onion in large (thick) slices and break rings apart in to beans. Crumble or rip bacon apart add to beans. Let cook for a few hours on. These are not to be confused with northern style green beans which are cooked crisp tender, sometimes with crispy bacon or with just a little bit of butter, garlic, salt and pepper. My family adores these Southern Green Beans!