Bourani of Clean Monday. Bourani is the food of the poor as they say where I come from! It is a thick soup that they eat all year round at Tyrnavos. Especially on Clean Monday, during the Bourani custom, it is men who cook it and the people who take part in the carnival enjoy it at the Phallus festival.
The city holds a famous annual carnival, which has its roots in antiquity. It is celebrated by the consumption of fasting foods, outdoor excursions and the flying of kites. The term Clean Monday is meant to symbolise leaving behind sin and non-fasting foods such as dairy products. You can cook Bourani of Clean Monday using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bourani of Clean Monday
- Prepare 1,5 kg of spinach, nettles and any kind of wild greens that you have (depending on the season).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1 of lemon.
- You need 1 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare of salt, pepper.
- You need 2 cups of water.
Clean Monday (Greek: Καθαρή Δευτέρα), also known as Pure Monday, or (in Cyprus only) Green Monday, is the first day of the Orthodox Christian Great Lent. The common term for this day, "Clean Monday", refers to the leaving behind of sinful attitudes and non-fasting foods. Bourani is the food of the poor as they say where I come from! It is a thick soup that they eat all year round at Tyrnavos.
Bourani of Clean Monday instructions
- Wash the wild greens thoroughly and cut them into medium-sized pieces..
- Blanch them without any water in a deep pot until their volume decreases a little..
- After about 10 minutes add 2 cups water, salt, pepper, half the oil and the juice of the lemon..
- Turn down the heat to half and let everything boil for 1 – 1 1/2 hour. The more they boil the better..
- In the meantime, prepare the batter. Dissolve the flour well in a cup with a little tepid water making sure it doesn't form any lumbs..
- When it is time, pour the flour mixture with the water in the soup because you want it to thicken. Stir constantly since you don't want the food to stick to the bottom of the pot..
- Add the rest of the oil and in about 5 minutes remove from heat. It is ready!.
- It is always served with plenty of lemon and pepper..
Especially on Clean Monday, during the Bourani custom, it is men who cook it and the people who take part in the carnival enjoy it at the Phallus festival. Tyrnavos (Greek: Τύρναβος) is a municipality in the Larissa regional unit, of the Thessaly region of Greece. It is the second-largest town of the Larissa regional unit, after Larissa. The town is near the mountains and the Thessalian Plain. The river Titarisios, a tributary of the Pineios, flows through the town.