Italian Style Veggie Rice.
You can cook Italian Style Veggie Rice using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Italian Style Veggie Rice
- You need 2 tbsp. of olive oil, divided.
- You need 8 oz. of sliced mushrooms.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 of yellow onion, roughly diced.
- You need 1 of medium carrot, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 1 stalk of celery, chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp. of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 can (15 oz.) of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1 cup of minute brown rice.
- You need 1 can (8 oz.) of unsalted tomato sauce + 1 can water.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of dried basil.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of each dried oregano, salt, pepper.
- You need 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Italian Style Veggie Rice step by step
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the mushrooms and cook them until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or so, until fragrant. Then remove the mushrooms to a separate plate and set them aside..
- Add the additional oil to the skillet and add the carrots, onions and celery with a big pinch of salt. Stir often until the carrots have begun to soften, then stir in the tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for a couple of minutes, then stir in the mushrooms, rice, beans, tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Increase the heat and let it come up to a low boil..
- Once it begins to bubble, place the lid on and lower the heat to low. Let it simmer covered for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat, but keep the lid on for 5 more minutes. Then fluff with a fork and sprinkle the mozzarella over the top. Place the lid back on for a couple minutes until the cheese melts, then you're ready to serve..