Lebanese Vegetarian Eggplant Moussaka. Lebanese Moussaka / Maghmour, a vegan stew packed with the lovely Mediterranean flavors, talk about a velvety eggplant stew studded with onions, garlic, olive oil, tossed with dried mint, and stewed with tomatoes! I guess that's the reason why the post is one of the most popular recipes on my […] Maghmour is Lebanon's Moussaka. The very word "moussaka" is not Greek in origin, but rather Arabic.
Maghmour is a thick, velvety Lebanese vegetarian eggplant stew with chickpeas, garlic, onions, and tomatoes with a smoky, slightly spicy flavor. Add the onion and garlic and chickpeas and saute until softened. Traditionally called maghmour across Lebanon, this Middle Eastern dish uses exotic spices for its home-grown version of the Greek moussaka you may already know. You can cook Lebanese Vegetarian Eggplant Moussaka using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lebanese Vegetarian Eggplant Moussaka
- It’s 3 of large eggplants, peeled and cut into long thick slices.
- Prepare 1 cup of canned chickpeas.
- It’s 4 of large tomatoes, peeled and cut into slices.
- You need 2 of large onions, cut into thin slices.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, dissolved in 1 cup water.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
Bursting with chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado oil, eggplant, and more, this hearty, healthy dish can easily become an easy yet flavorful dish any night of the week. I love that the recipe uses very staple ingredients, but the flavorful is very unique! Moussaka is Middle Eastern recipe that's made with layers of eggplant, potatoes and ground meat. There are many variations of the recipe all over the Middle East, but the Greek Moussaka.
Lebanese Vegetarian Eggplant Moussaka step by step
- In a deep frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and fry the eggplant slices until they turn golden. Remove and place on a kitchen absorbent paper..
- In a cooking pot, heat the olive oil and fry the onion slices until they turn golden and soft..
- Add the fried eggplants, chickpeas, tomato slices, chopped garlic, tomato paste and salt. Cover the pot and leave it to cook on medium heat for 15 min or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool. Adjust salt to taste..
- Best served cold..
It is typically vegetarian, made with chickpeas, zucchini, potatoes, onion, tomatoes, and basil or mint, but the […] Delicious and vegeterian moussaka my version are healthier then the traditional lebanese way coz they used to fry the eggplant. Enjoy my healthy and delicious MOUSSAKA Watch homemade Mille-feuille. Besides, Maghmour is a low carb moussaka version and one of the few completely vegan moussaka dishes from the middle east and Mediterranean area. Other regional Moussaka variations The healthy eggplant Moussaka is a popular meal across the Levant, Balkan and the Mediterranean. The components of this vegetarian moussaka recipe are not hard to make.