Oxtail Ragu. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. This week I'm really feeling the briefness of the December daylight and the deepening of the cold temperatures. While I normally make a big effort to eat only small amounts of meat and to eat clean and light, especially at night, this dreary week I have braises and rich sauces on my mind.
Pat the oxtail dry and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the pan and add the oxtail one at a time in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. When all the oxtail is browned, drain the fat from the pan and set the meat aside. You can cook Oxtail Ragu using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Oxtail Ragu
- You need 6 of large oxtail (also works well with short ribs).
- It’s 2 lbs of pork rib tips (use any pork, I like bone in for flavor).
- Prepare 4 cups of water or stock.
- It’s 1 of carrot diced.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion diced.
- It’s 4 stalks of celery diced.
- You need 3 tbsp of chopped garlic.
- Prepare 1 cup of white wine (dry white works great).
- You need 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper.
- You need 1 of small can tomato paste.
- Prepare 4 oz of fresh basil (or 1 oz dry).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of sugar (optional).
Oxtail makes a lovely, thick and meaty sauce for this pasta dish – perfect for a chilly evening. Alternatively, serve the ragu with fresh gnocchi; it's also delicious in winter on cheesy, creamy polenta. Ragu's are best when made slow on a low temperature. Oxtail ragu is no exception to this rule.
Oxtail Ragu instructions
- In your instapot/pressure cooker add your pork, oxtail and water. Pressure cook for 45 mins.
- After your oxtail and pork is cooked remove the bones, save the liquid..
- In a pot on medium heat, add a little oil or butter whichever you prefer and start sauteing your carrots, celery and onions until softened..
- Add your garlic and cook for another 2 mins..
- Add your white wine and reduce until almost evaporated..
- Add your tomato paste and cook for 2 mins (this is called blooming).
- Add your reserved liquid from the pressure cooker and simmer for 45 mins until thickened..
- Add your meat, basil, sugar and salt and pepper and cook for another 10 mins..
- Serve over pasta of your choice!.
If you are wondering what exactly oxtail is, it's the tail of a cow and it's a completely under respected piece of meat in the states. It has an amazing amount of flavor and is relatively inexpensive. Polenta with Braised Oxtail Ragu, and Remembering That the Sun Is Just beyond the Clouds. Instant Pot Oxtail Ragu is perfect on top of zucchini noodles, mashed potatoes, fresh pasta or polenta. Oxtail is a delicious, relatively affordable cut of beef that's unctuous, richly flavoured – perfect for winter stews + ragu.