Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies). These easily recognizable traditional Greek Cookies, aka Koulourakia, are often associated with Greek Easter. I have seen some recipes that will add melted butter, others will add both butter and shortening, I have also seen a vegan version of this recipes …truly endless variations. A "kouloura" (koo-LOU-rah) in Greek is a round twist.
These sweet little Greek Easter cookies are super quick to bake, so much fun to make and highly addictive to eat! Discover how to bake them to perfection with this traditional Greek recipe. If Italian biscotti were to have a dainty, Greek cousin, it would be koulourakia. You can have Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies) using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies)
- You need 2 cups of butter.
- You need 2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 6 of eggs.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 8-9 cups of flour, siffed.
- You need 2 tablespoon of baking powder.
- You need 1 of egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
- Prepare of orange zest (optional).
Koulourakia, on the other hand are a much smaller, butter cookie that are hand rolled and shaped into fun twisted designs. Koulourakia are traditional Greek Easter cookies that are infused with orange zest and perfect for dunking in coffee. Use baking ammonia for a fully authentic cookie! I've heard about Greek Easter cookies (officially knows as Koulourakia) before, and they finally made their way into my kitchen.
Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies) instructions
- Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar. Beats eggs until light; add butter to mixture and beat thoroughly. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Carefully blend into butter-egg mixture to make a soft dough.
- Shape dough with lightly floured hands into desired shapes and arrange on cooky sheets. Brush cookies with beaten egg and water..
- Bake in 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown..
The sweets made for Greek Easter are rich in butter, eggs and milk. The word kouloura means anything baked made in a circular loop shape such as bread or cookies. Recipe for Koulourakia Voutirou – Greek Butter Cookies. Add butter and sugar to a medium bowl and cream together using an electric mixer that has been set on medium speed. With a simple base of flour, butter, sugar and eggs, Koulourakia are Greek Easter cookies that come in a heap of different shapes and subtle flavours.