Tamale Pie. Grease a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn. Get Tamale Pie Recipe from Food Network.
Tamale Pie is a hearty casserole made with chili seasoned meat and topped with a homemade cornbread that captures the delicious flavors of a tamales without all the work. This Mexican Tamale Casserole is sure to be a family favorite. This tamale pie is a great way to use up leftover Beef Chili, Pork Carnitas, Vegetarian Chili, or Chicken Chili. You can have Tamale Pie using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tamale Pie
- It’s of Tamale filling.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion minced.
- It’s 2 tbsp of chili powder.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves minced.
- It’s 1 lb of lean ground beef.
- You need 15 oz of can black beans drained and rinsed.
- It’s 14 oz of can diced tomatoes drained.
- You need 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cilantro minced.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s of Cornbread topping.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of flour.
- It’s 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of melted and cooled unsalted butter.
Add the onions, green pepper and garlic; cook until onions are golden. Add tomatoes, corn,olives, salt and pepper, and chili powder; stir and add corn meal. Get Tamale Pie Recipe from Food Network. But it does taste great, is budget friendly, and easily feeds a lot of people!
Tamale Pie step by step
- Set oven to 450°.
- FOR THE FILLING: heat oil in a dutch oven or oven safe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and chili powder and heat for 5 min stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds..
- Stir in beef, beans, and tomatoes and cook for anothe 5 min. Add cheese and cilantro and season with salt..
- FOR THE CORNBREAD TOPPING: whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl beat egg into buttermilk. Combine with cornmeal mixture. Add butter, stir, and dollop over filling, spread evenly..
- Bake for 12-15 min. Serve hot..
I always loved tamale pie as a kid, fortunately it was often served in our school cafeteria. This recipe, like the one I grew up with, has a thinner cornmeal based topping that includes cheese. It has a light, velvety texture that forms a cozy blanket of goodness over the filling. Tamale pie is a holdover from America's first flush of romance with Mexican cuisine. The love affair hasn't let up — not with the lure of cornbread, cheese, and chili, even when made with turkey.