Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings. This easy Instant Pot® version of classic chicken and dumplings makes the best use of the multicooker. Brown the chicken, pressure cook, then boil the dumplings all in one appliance! Thicken Chicken and Dumplings: Bring the soup to a simmer.
As mentioned previously, my husband got me an Instant Pot for Christmas, and this Chicken and Dumplings recipe, besides being one of my favorite chicken recipes, and I have many, like Instant Pot Chicken Thighs, is also my favorite of all the Instant Pot recipes so far! Nothing says warm and cozy like a bowl of Southern-style chicken and dumplings—but we don't necessarily always have time to complete every painstaking step like Mama used to do. That's when we break out the ultimate modern-day kitchen helper: the Instant Pot. You can have Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings using 22 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Prepare 8 (2.5 lb) of or 1135g) Bone-in chicken thighs.
- You need 5 C of chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of butter or olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large Russet potato cut into bite-sized chunks.
- You need 3 of medium carrots, chopped.
- You need 2 of celery sticks, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 of Bay Leaf.
- It’s 1 pinch of dried Thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 C of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1/2-1 cup of frozen green peas.
- You need to taste of Salt/Pepper.
- You need of Optional Garnish: Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped. Heavy cream (2 TBSP per bowl).
- Prepare of Dumplings:.
- Prepare 2 C of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 TBSP of baking powder.
- It’s 1 TSP of salt.
- It’s 3/4 C of milk WARM.
- It’s 2 TBSP of butter, melted.
- It’s 1 TBSP of olive oil.
- You need of Fresh parsley or chives finely chopped (optional).
Have you ever wondered if you can make old-fashioned, comforting chicken and dumplings in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker? The answer is a resounding yes! Whisk up an easy dumpling batter, add your vegetables, chicken, and broth to the pot, and you're most of the way to a rib-sticking dinner. Chicken and dumplings – this recipe made in the Instant Pot includes cream of chicken soup, chicken breast, chicken broth, frozen peas and carrots, buttermilk and spices.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings step by step
- Select Saute' on the pot and leave to heat up..
- While pot is heating, mix flour and baking powder in a container. In a separate container mix WARM milk, salt, olive oil and butter. Pour the milk mix in with the flour mix. Mix only enough to form a batter, DON'T OVER MIX!.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Add 1 TBSP of butter to the now hot pot and make sure to coat the entire pot bottom with the butter..
- Add 4 thighs, skin side down into the pot. Brown 3 1/2 minutes. Season the other side with salt and pepper than flip and brown the other side 2 minutes. Remove browned chicken. Repeat for remaining chicken and set chicken aside on a plate after they all have been brown..
- Add onions to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Saute' 2 1/5 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute' 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add carrots and celery and saute' another 2 minutes. Add 2 bay leafs and a pinch of dried Thyme. Cook another 1 minute or until fragrant..
- Pour in 1 cup of chicken stock/broth and scrub at the bottom of your pain with a wooden spoon to get the brown bits and anything stuck on the bottom, lose. Give everything a quick stir..
- Add potato chunks the rest of the chicken stock/broth, chicken thighs and any juice the chicken might have left behind on the plate where they rested..
- Take a spoon and drop spoonfuls of dumping mix into the pot on top of everything. (dumplings will expand with cooking) Once your done with the dumplings close the lid, seal the venting knob and cook 3 minutes. (Use fish/veg/steam feature and add a minute).
- When done cooking for 3 minutes, turn off pot and let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes GRADUALLY release the remaining pressure..
- Take out the dumplings and set them aside, take out the chicken and place in a bowl. Shred the chicken removing the skin and the bones, toss those away..
- Once more press Saute' and bring the soup in the pot up to a simmer. Add in 1/2 – 1 cup of frozen peas and stir, after that break the potatoes so that the soup will thicken..
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and a few ladles of the soup from the pot. Do so until flour dissolves. You can thicken the soup to the desire thickness by adding 1/3 cup of flour at a time and mixing until it dissolves..
- Return shredded chicken and dumplings to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Mix the pot well and serve in bowls. Add parsley and heavy cream, 2 TBSP per bowl only if its wanted, not required..
- Dig in!.
This recipe contains ingredients from your pantry without the use of canned biscuits or condensed soups. It's an easy, wholesome meal your entire family will love. This super easy and delicious Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings made with canned biscuits, peas, and carrots is the perfect hearty meal and comfort food. Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings are a hearty, old-fashioned dinner that the whole family will love. Made easy with this pressure cooker recipe!