Potato Leek Soup. Get Access To Daily Recipes, Tips, Product Recommendations & So Much More! Potato leek soup, or potage parmentier, is a French classic. It's one of the first dishes I learned to make in culinary school, right after a proper omelet, because it's an essential base soup in French cuisine.
I will make this every time we get leeks in our CSA box." – Rebekah. Classic Vichyssoise "Easy, delicious and healthy! This soup is so yummy, you could omit the cream altogether." – daniella. You can have Potato Leek Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Potato Leek Soup
- You need 3 large of leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop. (See How to Clean Leeks).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 cup of water.
- You need 2 cup of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*.
- You need 2 lb of potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 dash of Marjoram.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- Prepare 2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of chili powder.
- You need 1 of Salt & Pepper.
German Leek and Potato Soup "Very good. What to Serve with Potato Leek Soup. Think of this potato soup as you would a potato side, but in liquid form. You don't really need any more starch to round out the meal, but it is hard to resist dipping a slice of crusty bread in this soup.
Potato Leek Soup instructions
- Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan..
- Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown the leeks..
- Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes..
- Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan..
- Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste..
Serve the soup as the starter to a steak dinner (steak and potatoes, right?), or roasted chicken. Put the chicken stock, potatoes, leeks, celery, bay leaf and thyme in a large pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Chop the leeks into small pieces. Classic potato leek soup has all the comforts of cold weather-cooking wrapped into one — a good bit of butter, slightly caramelized leeks and onions, creamy Yukon gold potatoes, and a splash of heavy cream for good measure. This is the kind of soup that is so simple to make yet tastes like you really know your way around the kitchen.