Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style. This red lentil dal is the sixth Indian recipe in a row I've shared here on the blog. If you're like me, you've been loving these recipes and hopefully Dal (sometimes spelled 'dhal', 'dahl' or 'daal') is one of my very favorite Indian dishes because of how quickly it is made. Cover, and bring to a boil.
The optional heavy cream is highly recommended, as it creates a richer, more authentic sauce. Combine in pan lentils, salt, curry powder, undrained chopped tomatoes, onion and water. Agreed about Indian buffets…they are the only ones I will even consider and by consider, I mean stuffing my face. You can have Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style
- You need 1/2 can of lentils.
- You need 1/2 can of diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, sliced.
- You need 1 tbs of finely minced ginger.
- It’s 1 tbs of finely minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf (optional).
- It’s 2 tbs of garam masala powder.
- It’s 2 tbs of cooking cream.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar (I used coconut sugar).
- Prepare 1 tbs of oil (I used coconut).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper,.
See more ideas about Indian food recipes, Lentil curry and Indian lentil curry. Dhal Curry – a very mild and nutritious curry made up mainly of lentils, tomatoes, chilies, and spices. Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil. Tomato curry recipe is one of the simplest of the tomato recipes.
Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style step by step
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds. Fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so..
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add in the garlic, ginger, and onions, being careful not to burn the garlic and ginger..
- Cook onions until soft and translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning the spices and aromatics..
- Add in lentils and tomatoes, stir everything together, then turn heat back to medium. Add in garam masala powder, bay leaf, sugar, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Stirring occasionally, simmer until reduced to preferred consistency (I like it more like a stew and not so liquid)..
- Add in cream, then reduce once again to preferred consistency..
- Remove from heat and serve..
Delicious and healthy andhra style tomato kura to have with rice, roti ot dosa. Onion and tomatoes form the base of our Indian curries. We generally use them to make any curry and top up with the main vegetable like drumstick, ladies. These vegan Indian Coconut Curry Lentils are healthy and filling and perfect for the colder months when you are craving something a little heartier. For a lighter, leaner version of lentil soup- be sure to try this one!