Chinese Congee( Zhou). Congee or conjee (/ ˈ k ɒ n dʒ i /) is a type of rice porridge or gruel. When eaten as plain rice congee, it is most often served with side dishes. When additional ingredients such as meat, fish, and flavourings are added while preparing the congee, it is most often served as a meal on its own, especially for persons who are ill.
Great recipe for Chinese Congee( Zhou).. So listen to this, my cousin in Shanghai knows that we have a food blog. Once in a while, she'll send me information or dishes that might interest me. You can cook Chinese Congee( Zhou) using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chinese Congee( Zhou)
- Prepare 1/2 cup of rice(I used short grain).
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- It’s 1 cup of Chicken Stock( you can use beef if you like).
- It’s of Add Ins(Optional, but recommended).
- You need 1 of Meat of your choice ; shredded or cut up into pieces.
- It’s 1 of Vegetables: I recommend using either cabbage or mushrooms.( I used cabbage for this recipe).
- It’s 1 of Thousand year old eggs( pi dan) (This is what you would find in most congee prepared in takeout/resturant places).
Congee (粥 or 稀飯) is a classic Chinese breakfast dish, though it is also a staple in many other countries including Burma, Indonesia, Japan, and even parts of Europe. Congee is essentially a rice porridge made by boiling rice in a great deal of water until it breaks down into a puddinglike consistency. Congee is also known as rice porridge, jook, zhou, xi fan, or even gruel. This is a recipe for Chicken Ginger Congee.
Chinese Congee( Zhou) instructions
- I recommend using a Dutch oven . If you don't that is fine too. Place the rice,.water, and stock into a pot. Stir and bring to a boil.(Make sure to not fully cover the pot because because the it can bubble over easily and make a big mess! ).
- While it is being brought to a boil, you can cook and prepare any add ins if you are using any. Set it aside. We will add this later in the cooking process ..
- After the rice and liquid mixture has been brought to a boil, add 1/2 cup of water and them bring it to a boil again. Remember to stir often. Then after the second boil, add 1/2 of a cup of stock. Bring it to a boil again. Keep repeating and alternating between water and stock until you reach your desired consistency. You can add more stock to water. This will result in a creamier and thicker congee. More water will result in more of a runny consistency, and not as much flavor. This congee is different from ones prepared outside because the ones outside are made with all water. In my opinion ,this is much more flavorful because of the stock!.
- After it has reached your desired consistency, add any of the add ins. Season to taste..
- Serve and enjoy!.
Congee is regarded as the ultimate Chinese comfort food, according to the author Fuchsia Dunlop. This recipe for ji zhou or chicken congee, from her book on Jiangnan regional cuisine, is dead simple and satisfying. Serve it with chicken and soy sauce for a late-night Shanghai-style snack. Featured in: Review: Two Books To Master Chinese Cuisines. Congee (Cantonese jook or Mandarin zhōu) is a typical Chinese breakfast food.