Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot). Instant Pot Split Pea and Bacon Soup is a tasty, smoky take on the classic split pea soup recipe. Though this Split Pea Soup is typically made with ham, I don't usually have leftover ham in my fridge. Bacon on the other hand, I always have in stock.
Pressure cookers like the Instant Pot are great for breaking down tough cuts of meat and vegetables. Stay away from the pressure cooker. But if you're craving anything soft and tender like stews and soups (see Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup and Instant Pot Cabbage Soup With Beef), the pressure cooker is your friend. You can cook Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot)
- It’s 1 pound of split peas.
- Prepare 7 cups of chicken broth.
- Prepare 6-7 rashers of bacon.
- Prepare 1 of smoked ham hock.
- You need 1 of large carrot grated.
- It’s 1 of small onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 of tspn black pepper.
- Prepare 1 dash of olive oil.
This split pea soup is thick and creamy, with a. The most delicious split pea soup….made in the Instant Pot! This easy soup recipe has bacon, ham steak, carrots and onions. It's warm and comforting for winter months.
Bacon Split Pea Soup (Instant Pot) instructions
- Chop onions to desired size, chop bacon to about 1 inch squares, and grate carrot with cheese grater.
- Sauté onions with oil in instant pot for about 2 minutes, then toss in bacon 🥓 and cook until it’s the consistency of ham. They need not be crispy but you don’t want them rubbery..
- Turn off the sauté function. Add split peas, chicken broth, ham hock, carrots 🥕, and pepper. Set instant pot to 25 minutes and cook..
- Whisk hot soup before serving to break up clumps of split pea, there should be some stuck to the bottom of the pot, try not to reincorporate this into the soup. I garnished mine with fried rosemary garlic sourdough croutons..
- Complete! Share a cooksnap & tell us what you thought!.
- VARIANT: replace the bacon and ham hock with a smoked turkey leg. After soup is cooked, remove turkey leg, pull meat from bone, and return meat to soup..
Soup is one of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot. No simmering all day in the slow cooker or the stovetop. Stir in broth and water, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add split peas, half of bacon, salt, pepper and bay leaf; mix well. Most pressure cooker manuals include a standard line warning against pressure cooking split-peas primarily because they can gum-up the safety valves.