Italian Bread Bowls.
You can cook Italian Bread Bowls using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Italian Bread Bowls
- Prepare of Ingredients.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of Active Dry Yeast (use 1 tbsp instant yeast).
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of Warm Water.
- You need 2 tbsp of White Sugar.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 tbsp of Vegetable Oil.
- Prepare 6 cup of Flour (you can also use 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 all purpose flour).
- You need of Egg Wash.
- It’s 1 of Egg.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of water.
- It’s of Spices (optional).
- It’s 2 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of Italian Spice.
- You need 2 tsp of Cracked Pepper.
Italian Bread Bowls step by step
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes..
- Add salt, oil, any spices and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition..
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes..
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil..
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes..
- Punch dough down, and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loafs on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal..
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes..
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Take a very sharp knife and cut two 1 inch slits in the center of each loaf. In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tbsp water. Lightly brush the loaves with half of the egg wash..
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining egg wash and bake 10 – 15 more minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
- To make bowls cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from the top of each loaf and scoop out the centers (leaving 3/4 inch thick shells. Fill with hot soup and serve immediately..