Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy. Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy An easy quick biscuit with delicious gravy a wonderful meal I grew up eating many a time!! It is a soft fat, unlike tallow, which is a harder fat that can be used to make homemade soap. Lard has always been an important baking ingredient for the Pennsylvania Dutch, and many people are returning to using freshly rendered lard that has not been hydrogenated because it does not contain trans fat.
Handed down by my Pennsylvania Dutch ancestors. This is a very old family recipe. Handed down by my Pennsylvania Dutch ancestors. You can cook Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy
- Prepare of Biscuits.
- Prepare 2 cups of all purpose flour + 2 tablespoon for dusting.
- Prepare 4-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder double acting.
- Prepare 3-1/2 tablespoons of lard.
- Prepare 2/3 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of milk.
- You need 1 tablespoon of lard to grease the skillet.
- Prepare of Gravy.
- Prepare 3/4 pound of bulk sausage I used Tennessee Pride Sausage.
- You need 1 teaspoon of finely ground black pepper divided.
- You need 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need To taste of salt.
- You need 1 quart of milk I used lactose intolerant milk.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of lard the sausage was too lean.
See great recipes for Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy too! This is an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. Many of their great dishes use lard. These are so good with jam and almost even better the next day for breakfast.
Pennsylvania Dutch Lard Biscuits with Gravy step by step
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Add 2 cups of flour to a bowl and mix in the salt and baking powder. Mix the flour and baking into the flour well. Take the lard and add the lard to the flour mixture..
- Add the milk. Dust the mixture with the 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix and knead the dough just a bit a quick 5 minutes. Add lard to the skillet and heat till just a bit hot to the touch..
- Add sausage to another pan to brown. Form 6 Biscuits and add to the heated skillet. Add the flour to the browned sausage along with half the black pepper. Put the Biscuits into the oven for 12-15 minutes..
- Add milk to the sausage mixture. Take the Biscuits out and set aside. Continue to stir till the gravy is thickened the way you like it..
- Take a couple of Biscuits put on a plate and split in half. Add gravy over the top add the pepper to taste. Serve I hope you enjoy!.
They just love to be soaked in sausage gravy! Melt the butter in a frying pan. Slice the tomatoes and dredge in the flour. Saute' the tomatoes until lightly browned. Old Amish recipes for easy Amish cooking.