Fish pie. Fish expert Mitch Tonks' fish pie recipe has bags of flavour from the smoked haddock, prawns and cod. Hearty, creamy and super-satisfying. "This delicious fish pie is a great excuse to pack in the veg, so use whatever you have to hand – even frozen peas! A Fish Pie fit for a king!
British fish pie is quick and easy to make; filled with poached fish, leeks, and mashed potatoes, it's a great dish to serve for lunch or supper. Create a delicious fish pie sauce, try a different fish pie mix and get inspired by new ideas for the ultimate comfort A fish pie recipe can be as classic or modern as you make it. This article is about the cooked version. You can have Fish pie using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fish pie
- You need of Use as much fish as you like, here roughly 400-500g in total for two people:.
- You need 1 of salmon fillet.
- It’s 1 of small smoked haddock fillet.
- Prepare 1/2 of fresh haddock or cod fillet.
- It’s 1 dozen of raw prawns, thawed if using frozen.
- You need 4-5 of medium waxy potatoes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of butter.
- You need 2 of heaped tsp of flour.
- Prepare 500 ml of milk.
- Prepare 500 ml of fish stock.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of double cream.
- It’s of ground white pepper.
- Prepare 1 of grating of nutmeg.
- It’s 100 g of grated Gruyère cheese.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of grated Parmesan.
- You need 2 tbsp. of finely chopped parsley.
- Prepare 1 handful of frozen peas, thawed.
- It’s of salt and pepper.
For the raw version, see Raw fish pie. This is how to make my Fish Pie with Cheesy Mash. This Fish Pie recipe has been handed down through generations. Fish pie is the ultimate comfort food and this easy fish pie recipe is delicious and Fish pie is perfect served with green beans or garden peas for an extra dose of.
Fish pie instructions
- Soak the smoked haddock in the milk for at least half an hour. Rinse and pat dry, reserve the milk for the sauce. Skin all the fish and cut into 2.5cm cubes..
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain, cool and slice quite thinly..
- Melt the butter in a skillet, add the flour and stir energetically to make the roux. Cook it, stirring, for a few seconds, then start adding milk and stock, stirring continuously. Season with white pepper and the nutmeg. You might not use all the milk or the stock – check if it’s too your taste, not too milky or too fishy. Let it bubble and cook down for a few minutes, stirring every now and again. Add the cream, mix in most of the Gruyere and half the parmesan. Stir it vigorously and cook a bit longer until perfectly smooth and thickened. Leave to cool slightly, then stir in the parsley..
- Layer the fish chunks and the prawns in a gratin or pie dish, scatter the peas among the fish. Season the fish lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the sauce all over the fish, reserving a couple of spoonfuls..
- Layer the potato slices on top of the sauce, season with salt and pepper and dab the rest of the sauce over the potatoes. Sprinkle over the remaining Gruyere cheese and most of the parmesan..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes until bubbling and golden, scatter the rest of the parmesan over the top just before the end of the cooking time. Serve with green salad..
This delicious fish pie brimming with seafood & fresh fish. with a cheesy potato topping is a tasty dinner idea. Find healthy recipes at Tesco Real Food. To the uninitiated, fish pie has an uninviting name and reputation. But this is fish that is gently poached, then swathed in a white sauce and topped with buttery mashed potatoes. Fish pie is a favorite of home cooks in the UK, where it's usually made with smoked haddock.