You can cook Greek Mussaka using 18 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Greek Mussaka
- It’s 2 of large aubergines (A).
- You need 5 of medium sized white potatoes (A).
- You need 1 of medium red onion (B).
- It’s 3 tablespoons of olive oil (B).
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic (B).
- You need 750 grams of ground beef and lamb meat (B).
- It’s 1 TSP of seven spices (B).
- Prepare of black pepper (B).
- Prepare 1 TSP of salt (B).
- You need 1 tablespoon of grape molasses (B).
- Prepare 1 TSP of vinegar (B).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves (C).
- It’s 3 of clovers (C).
- You need 1 pinch of ground nutmeg (C).
- You need 1 liter of milk (C).
- Prepare 80 grams of butter (C).
- You need half of a cup of flour (C).
- You need 500 grams of grated parmesan cheese (C).
Greek Mussaka instructions
- Peel, cut and salt the aubergines. Load them in a colander with a weight to remove moisture..
- Fry the aubergine slices in vegetable oil..
- Peel, cut and fry the potatoes..
- Start to prepare your Mussaka pan. The first layer consists of fried potatoes, while second layer consists of fried aubergine..
- Finely chop the onion, fry in olive oil, add minced garlic clove when onion is ready. Later add the meat. Stir on medium heat. Add the other ingredients as the meat browns and gets almost cooked..
- The minced meat comprises the third layer in the pan. Spread more aubergines to make a fourth layer..
- Boil milk with its spices in a saucepan over medium heat. In a separate saucepan melt the butter then gradually add sifted flour while continuously whisking over low heat..
- Gradually ladle milk over the butter and flour mixture whisking without interruption till the whole milk quantity is used up. Add half the parmesan cheese into the white sauce..
- The white sauce makes up the top layer (fifth layer). Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top..
- Cook for 30 min in a 180 degrees C oven uncovered. Broil for an extra 5 – 10 minutes to give the pan a golden brown surface..
- Remove from the oven and wait for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy a premium dinner..
- Eat with yoghurt..