Spicy Cucumber Salad. Peel cucumbers and cut them lengthwise. Scrape out seeds with small spoon, leaving hollow shells. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame seed oil.
Pour over vegetables; toss to combine. This sweet and spicy cucumber salad has quite the kick, but it's delicious and packed with flavor. This vinegar based cucumber salad is perfect for a summer side dish, and something you could easily bring to a barbecue or potluck. You can have Spicy Cucumber Salad using 9 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spicy Cucumber Salad
- It’s 2-3 of pickling cucumbers or 1 English cucumber.
- You need 1 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 1 tsp of Korean hot pepper paste.
- You need 2 tsp of Duenjang paste or miso paste.
- It’s 1 tsp of tamari sauce.
- Prepare 1 tsp of honey, optional.
- You need 1 pinch of Onion powder.
- It’s 1 pinch of black pepper.
- You need 2 tsp of toasted sesame oil.
I grew up eating creamy, sour cream based cucumber salad. This spicy cucumber salad contains many of the same ingredients as cucumber kimchi but it isn't fermented, so you can eat it right away. I like to use Kirby or pickling cucumbers, which have a firm, crisp texture, thin skin, and small seeds. Korean, Japanese, and Persian cucumbers may also be used.
Spicy Cucumber Salad step by step
- Dice cucumbers and set them aside..
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together all seasonings. Pour the diced cucumber into the seasoning bowl. Coat the cucumber with the seasoning sauce. Serve as a side dish..
Jason loves cucumbers in any form and when he spotted this spicy Chinese cucumber salad on the menu, he said he had to have it. I had to triple check that he was sure because these things tend to be spicy (unless you make it yourself because in that case, you can easily adjust). Tip it into a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, vinegar and large pinch of salt. Meanwhile, tip the other salad ingredients into a bowl. Drain the cucumber and tip in with the rest of the ingredients.