Jamaican Rice & Peas.
You can have Jamaican Rice & Peas using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Jamaican Rice & Peas
- You need 1 cup of red kidney beans or 1 can pinto beans( I used kidney beans.
- You need 1 pack of coconut powder or 1 can coconut cream.
- It’s 2 cups of long grain rice or your fav.
- It’s 1/4 cup of butter.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2 sprig of (stalk) thymes.
- It’s 1 tsp of chicken seasoning or paprika (optional).
- Prepare 1 of green scotch bonnet pepper(jamaican pepper).
- You need 1 of garlic.
Jamaican Rice & Peas instructions
- If using can beans pour bean in 2 cups of boiling water and follow the rest of the recipe. If used red kidney beans wash beans and then add to 7 cups of water with the garlic and allow to cook or until beans are tender. Used pressure cooker for quicker cooking.
- To the cooked beans stir in coconut milk or cream(if used powder mix it in 1 cup of water), salt, seasoning,thyme,pepper,butter,jamaican pepper and cover and cook for 5mins.
- Wash rice and then stir it into coconut mixture. Cover and let simmer for 20 mins on low heat or until rice is cooked and all the liquid is dried up. Ps less liquid the better so the rice doesnt become a puddle. I'd say liquid should be 1inch above the rice.if your liquid is too much the cooking time is longer and the rice will be overcooked. Stir occasionally throughout the cooking period to ensure all grains of the rice is cooked and doesnt stick to the pot..