Pepes Ayam / Indonesian Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf. Pepes Ayam / Indonesian Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf This recipe is easy and also tasty, the thing is the preparation that takes time a bit. You know you have to peel off all the ingredients, chop them off then blend them in a blender or grind them using traditional stome and mortar. Pepes Ati Ayam – Steamed Chicken Livers in Banana Leaves.
Here it is the special dish from Bali : Tum Ayam or Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf. It looks similarly to Pepes / Botok Ayam from Java. But Tum Ayam has more complex spices & also contains coconut milk. You can cook Pepes Ayam / Indonesian Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf using 22 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pepes Ayam / Indonesian Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf
- Prepare of Other Ingredients:.
- You need 5 of Indonesian bay leaves.
- It’s 2 stalks of lemongrass, smashed and cut into 10 parts.
- It’s 2 of green onions, cut into 2 cm.
- Prepare 10 of birdeye chillies.
- Prepare 1 bunch of thai basil leaves.
- It’s 12 of champignon mushrooms (optional).
- You need 2 tbsp of coconut cream.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare of Pepper.
- It’s of Sugar.
- Prepare of Chicken powder.
- It’s of Equipment:.
- You need 5 of banana leaves that's been grilled a bit and cleaned.
- It’s of Toothpicks, 5 divide into 2 to make 10.
- Prepare of Main Ingtedient;.
- It’s 1/2 kg of chicken, divide into 5 or any kind of chicken parts.
- It’s of Turmeric Paste:.
- It’s 15 of shallots, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 10 of garlics, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 10 of candlenuts.
- It’s 4 cm of turmeric, peeled and chopped.
The special spice which is commonly used in Balinese Kitchen is Lesser Galangale/Kencur. According KBBI (Indonesian dictionary), pepes/pe.pes/pépés/ is a side dish made of fish (oncom etc.) that is seasoned and wrapped in banana leaves, then baked or steamed. Pepes, an Indonesia dish which common throughout the region, is a way to process foodstuffs (usually to fish) with the help. There are so many different ingredients you can cook using this method, such as Pepes Ikan (fish Pepes), Pepes Ayam (chicken Pepes), and Pepes Jamur (mushroom Pepes).
Pepes Ayam / Indonesian Steamed Chicken in Banana Leaf instructions
- Blend the turmeric paste ingredients in a blender until it becomes a paste. Or you can use stone mortar and pestle..
- Put your chicken in a bowl. Add in the paste, salt, sugar, pepper, chicken powder and coconut cream. combine them all until well coated. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate..
- Take your banana leaf. place in the middle of the leaf and take 2 or 3 chopped green onions, some basil leaves, 2 Indonesian bay leaves and some paste. Add 1 chicken, add another paste, add in 2 of your birdeye chilles, some basil leaves, another green onions, some mushrooms and some paste. Fold then secure with some toohpick. Do until everything is finished..
- Steam in a preheated steamer until cooke about 15-20 minutes..
Those ingredients are mixed with rich, special spices and seasonings sprinkled with tomatoes and chilies. Pepes is an Indonesian cooking method using banana leaf as food wrappings. The banana-leaf package containing food is secured with lidi seumat (a small nail made from central rib of coconut-leaf. Roasted Chicken in Banana Leaf / Ayam Betutu Bali Home » Roasted Chicken in Banana Leaf / Ayam Betutu Bali Ayam Betutu is the authentic Balinese dish of steamed or roasted chicken stuffed with traditional spices, wrapped in banana leaves, and then enveloped tight in banana trunk bark (or aluminum foil) before it's baked. My first visit had me ordering: Pepes Ikan (banana leaf wrapped fish – spicy hot) and string bean terasi.