Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew) for 2.
You can have Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew) for 2 using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew) for 2
- Prepare 1/2 of a small onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of gochugaru (Korean chili flakes) or 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes to start.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1/4 pound of pork belly or shoulder, cut into small strips (about 1.5 inch x.5 inch).
- It’s 2 cups of unsalted stock (chicken, pork, beef or seafood are all fine) or water if you don't have stock.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of fish sauce.
- You need 1 pound of soft tofu.
- Prepare 1-2 of eggs.
- You need 1 of small green onion, chopped.
- It’s of optional: 1 chopped fresh chili.
- It’s of optional: 1 teaspoon saewoo jut (Korean brined microshrimp).
Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew) for 2 step by step
- Put all ingredients except soft tofu, egg and green onion in a pot and bring to vigorous boil over medium high heat. Continue to let it boil for another 3 to 4 minutes..
- Loosely crumble the tofu and distribute evenly over boiling stew mixture, cover partially, and continue to boil over medium high heat for another 3 or 4 minutes..
- Gently stir to incorporate all ingredients and adjust seasoning if needed. At this point, you can just add kosher salt for added salt element. You may want to ratchet up the heat with more chili flakes, too..
- Bring the stew up to a vigorous boil again for 2 or 3 minutes..
- Remove from heat, crack raw egg(s) into center, sprinkle green onions top, and serve with steamed rice on the side. Don't forget to spoon some of the boiling hot stew broth (enough to cover) over the top of the raw egg and leave it undisturbed for 3 to 4 minutes to cook the whites through..
- Enjoy with a bowl of steamed rice and kimchi, too, if you've got it! 🙂 My kimchi recipe: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/1567994-kimchi-easier-than-you-think.