Asian Potato and Spinach (Sag Aloo).. Saag Aloo (Spinach and Potato Curry) Unbelievably, after a conversation with my best friend Basil, I realized that I had yet to document and share a recipe from my kitchen for saag aloo here on my space. As this potato and spinach curry is one of the most popular North Indian vegetable dishes around the globe, I am rather ashamed to just be. Saag Aloo: Indian Spinach and Potatoes, is a fantastic healthy side dish with tender cubes of potato, spinach, onions, and mild fragrant spices.
It is made with spinach and potatoes cooked with ginger, garlic, onions and aromatic spices. This is a nutritious vegan & gluten-free curry. Saag aloo is usually made with regular potatoes but we like our sweet potato version. You can have Asian Potato and Spinach (Sag Aloo). using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Asian Potato and Spinach (Sag Aloo).
- You need 1/4 of Onion, diced.
- You need 1 of Potato.
- Prepare 250 grams of Spinach (fresh).
- You need 1 tbsp of Curry Powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Light Soy Sauce.
The great thing about these little beauties is they are richer in nutrients – particularly vitamin C – than white potatoes and lower in starch. They count towards your five a day too, while regular potatoes don't. We like to make our own spice mix for this but if you prefer you can use curry powder. Instant Pot Saag Aloo (Spinach Potato Curry)-Full of warming flavors this a one-pot pressure cooker recipe for an Indian favorite, Saag Aloo, also known as Spinach Potato Curry.
Asian Potato and Spinach (Sag Aloo). step by step
- Heat oil in saucepan, skillet or sauté pan..
- Add diced Onions with Curry Powder. Stir for a few minutes on a medium heat..
- Add diced Potatoes stirring on a medium heat for a couple more minutes..
- Add enough water to cover mixture then add the same amount again, bringing to the boil. Make sure the oil isn't too hot or it'll spit and become hazardous..
- After 5 minutes, heat Spinach according to packet instructions. I steam mine over the saucepan with an attachment..
- Add the Soy Sauce, if using, and serve with boiled rice. I like Aborrio rice for this recipe..
Simple Sag Aloo (Indian Potato and Spinach) Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra. Made this to go with a lamb patia on Friday. Very easy and makes a tasty side-dish for your curry. Don't use over-floury potatoes, because you need them to hold together. You can use fresh spinach instead, but I always have frozen in my freezer so it's easier for me.