Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup). Say Yes to Our Vegetarian Soups Crafted for Sippable Satisfaction. Place vegetable stock, onion, soy sauce, garlic, cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, star anise, and bay leaves in a large pot; bring to a boil. Warm a medium soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
To make Pho: Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Ladle Broth over noodles, and top with tofu, sprouts, watercress, and green onions. You can cook Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of Soup Broth.
- Prepare 1 large of sweet onion peeled and quartered.
- It’s 1 small of piece ginger (about 2 inch) peeled and halved length wise.
- It’s 1 head of full nutmeg (you can also use a small cinnamon stick).
- It’s 2 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 pinch of coriander, cilantro, or basil.
- You need 4 medium of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- It’s 4 cup of vegetable stock.
- You need 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- It’s of Noodles.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of flat rice noodle (I used thicker noodles but use according to preference).
- Prepare of Toppings.
- It’s 2/3 packages of extra firm fried until crispy tofu (you can substitute any protein you desire here such as chicken, beef, beans, etc).
- You need 4 medium of mushrooms (by preference, I like shitake for asian dishes).
- Prepare 1 bunch of vegetables of your choice (I used bok choy and borccoli).
- You need of Garnishes.
- You need 1 bunch of bean sprouts.
- It’s 1 bunch of cilantro (a handful is usually good).
- Prepare 1 of chile pepper, or any hot pepper, sliced.
- You need 1 of lime cut into slices.
- It’s 2 of stock green onion, sliced into small pieces.
- It’s 1 of your favorite sauces such as Hoisin, Sriracha, etc.
Serve cilantro, basil, and lime wedges on the side to be stirred into soup. Normally when given the option of toppings, I like to go all in. This vegetarian pho is an exception, though. The broth, which picks up great flavor from the spices, a slight sweetness from the carrots, and the subtlest of charred aromas from the onion and ginger, is what truly makes this soup for me.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) step by step
- For the broth:.
- Char the onion and ginger under the broiler until slightly black (about 5 minutes per side).
- Dry roast star anise, nut meg and cilantro in a large pot over medium heat until you can smell the flavors. Stir to prevent burning..
- Once flavors are aromatic, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, charred onion and ginger. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat and keep hot until ready to serve..
- For the noodles:.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, turn off heat, add noodles, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes (or follow package directions). Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking..
- For Toppings:.
- Prepare however you desire. I fried the tofu in oil until crispy and cooked the veggies until slightly wilted and warmed throughout. Season as desired, but note the flavor of the broth is the main seasoning for the whole dish.
- For the garnishes:.
- Prepare garnishes and arrange on a plate. Add the desired amount of garnishes to your own dish once meal is prepared and served..
What is Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup? In Vietnam, Pho is served primarily at breakfast time! It is a savory Vietnamese noodle soup, usually beef-based. It's has a unique and aromatic flavor from a curious blend of spices. Normally, it uses beef bones for the broth, but in our vegan pho recipe, we use vegetable broth.