Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned. This Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup is adapted from a recipe in the Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook (affiliate link). Flavorful without being too spicy, it's the perfect recipe to make on a busy day when you're short on time because the slow cooker does most of the work for you.
Put the chicken in a slow cooker. Sprinkle on the chili powder, cumin and some salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes with chiles, tomato paste, onion, chipotle. You can have Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- It’s 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- It’s 6 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- It’s 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- Prepare 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- You need 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- You need 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- It’s 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- It’s 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- It’s 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- Prepare of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
After the cold, gloomy week we had for most of last week, I decided it was time to get some new soup recipes up on the blog. Get dinner on the table on a busy day with ease with this load-&-go crock pot recipe. This zesty soup can simmer in the crock pot for an entire workday, making it perfect for a busy weekday meal. Bump up the Southwest flavors with a garnished of chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup step by step
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
Recipe: Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. This crock pot recipe is a spicy and delicious chicken soup that can easily serve a family of four. I often make this soup using chicken thighs or chicken found on sale. Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream and a handful of tortilla chips to complete this meal in a fun way. Top with chicken and remaining salsa.