2020 New Years Black Eyed Peas. Black-eyed peas are served with rice in the traditional Southern U. S. dish called "Hoppin' John" for New Year's Eve. Or, the peas can be part of a soup.
You gotta have collard greens, that brings in money," Beverly Wilson mentioned. Wilson typically cooks for her husband and three sons. Their New Year's Day plate includes a grilled citrus barbecue glazed bone-in pork chop with black-eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread with two cookies for dessert. You can have 2020 New Years Black Eyed Peas using 5 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of 2020 New Years Black Eyed Peas
- It’s 2 pounds of black eyed peas.
- Prepare 1 pound of hog jawls.
- It’s 12 cups of hot water.
- You need 1-1/4 tablespoons of salt.
- Prepare 3 cups of hot water.
For many black families, New Year's greens and black-eyed peas fill the belly and the soul "It's a spiritual moment," said Layla Sewell, right, of cooking her ancestors' recipes with her. One unusual but common New Year's Day black-eyed peas tradition involves putting actual money in the dish. Instructions: Start by thoroughly rinsing your beans if you're using canned ones. You don't need the added salt when you have both the cubed ham and the ham hock.
2020 New Years Black Eyed Peas step by step
- Wash and remove foreign particles. I found an actual kernel of corn in the bag..
- Get your hog jawl and cut you off a chunk. Slice it up a bit. Add half to the pot the other half render some of the fat..
- Add 12 cups of water to the peas. Bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer. Cover add some of the unrendered hog jawls to the peas. Pour the rendered hog jawls and the drippings to the peas. Keep cooking on low, for 2 hours. Stir occasionally..
- Take 3 cups hot water and add the salt. When the black eyed peas are done and tender, add the salted water to pot and stir. Cover, and remove from heat let rest 20 minutes before serving. Stir and serve I hope you enjoy!!!!!.
Whether it's black-eyed peas on a New Year's Day brunch or cabbage on New Year's Eve, adding these New Year's good luck foods to your party plans are a delicious way to say see-ya to. Why are collard greens and black-eyed peas considered 'good luck' meals for the New Year? C. (WBTV) – There are many ways you can bring in the new year. New Years Black-Eyed Pea Soup A healthy, delicious, and traditionally 'lucky' way to start the New Year! In the South, eating black-eyed peas on the first day of the year are thought to bring you wealth and prosperity for the coming year.