Chicken Afritada. Chicken Afritada or afritadang manok is a type of Filipino chicken stew with tomato based sauced. It is a simple dish that can be cooked on regular days. It is perfect for lunch and is better when eaten with warm white rice.
Some prefer to add green peas and hot dogs as well, but I prefer my chicken afritada without it. Another variation will use both pork and chicken or will use just pork. Heat oil in a large wok over medium heat; add garlic. You can have Chicken Afritada using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Afritada
- Prepare 1 of /2 kilo chicken (I used chicken breast fillets quartered).
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need 1 of medium sized onion diced.
- It’s 2 of green bell peppers diced.
- You need 1/2 cup of green peas.
- You need 2 cups of tomato sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- You need 2 of potatoes or sweet potatoes cubed.
- It’s 1 of carrot cubed.
- You need 1 of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 of chicken bouillon cube.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of brown sugar or to taste.
- It’s of Cooking oil.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lay chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Chicken Afritada Afritada is a Filipino favorite with tender chicken cooked in a rich savory tomato-based sauce. Cooked low and slow until the oil separates from the sauce and the meat becomes fork-tender.
Chicken Afritada instructions
- Heat oil in pan and add garlic and onions. Cook garlic until light golden brown and onions translucent. Add bay leaf. Cook potatoes for about 5 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Set aside..
- Using the same pan/pot cook chicken in left over oil for 10-15 minutes or both sides are browned (I like cooking my chicken in oil to give it a crispy outside, you may skip this and just boil chicken in water until cooked)..
- Add carrots, peas, green bell peppers the cooked garlic, onions & bay leaf previously set aside. Pour water to deglaze pan add chicken buillon cube and simmer for another five minutes..
- Pour tomato sauce and let it simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and serve with steamed white rice..
Chicken afritada is one of the many Filipino tomato based stew. In this case, it is a tomato based chicken stew. Obviously the name of the dish has some Spanish origin like many other Filipino cuisine with tomato sauce like the calderata or menudo. This is a remake recipe video for Filipino Chicken Afritada. In this episode, I will show you how to easily cook chicken afritada with hotdogs.