Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup. Great recipe for Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup. On Cape Cod, I always have a bowl or two or three of Portuguese Soup. It is one of my favorites, but hard to find in NYC.
Season with Red wine vinegar if desired. Inspired by Portuguese caldo verde, this hearty, richly flavoured soup is a yummy way to use up an entire bunch of kale in one go. It freezes well, so leftovers make quick and easy lunches all week. You can have Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup
- It’s 2-3 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1-2 of yellow onion.
- Prepare 1 lb of linguica or chourico.
- You need 1 lb. of Yukon gold potatoes.
- You need 1-2 cups of chopped carrots.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2-3 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of sweet Spanish paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1-2 pinches of ground cinnamon.
- You need 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 cups of cold water.
- Prepare 2-4 cups of chopped kale.
The soup thickens as it stands; thin with water and adjust the seasonings as desired when you reheat it. Add to the slow cooker, along with the whole cloves of garlic and the olive oil. Pour in the chicken stock and stir. Caldo Verde, meaning green broth, is the Portuguese counterpart to Italian Zuppa Toscana.
Slow Cooker Caldo Verde Soup step by step
- Dice the garlic and onions, separate into two piles..
- Lengthwise, slice the linguica/chourico in half, then cut into quarter inch slices.
- In a hot pot over medium heat, coat the pot with olive oil. Add the garlic. Saute the garlic for a minute or two..
- Next add the onions and carrots into the pot. Cook together with the garlic for about 5 minutes..
- Once the onions are translucent, the linguica goes into the pot. Cook the linguica until it is slightly browned. Add all of it into the slow cooker..
- Cut the potatoes into one inch pieces. Place the potatoes into the slow cooker..
- Stir everything into the slow cooker, except for the kale. Place the bay leaves on top. Close the slow cooker, set the temperature to low, and cook for about 8 hours..
- After 8 hours, discard the bay leaves and remove the linguica with a slotted spoon. Put to the side. Mix in the kale and cook for another 30 minutes with the temperature on high..
- When 30 minutes is over, use a hand blender to blend to almost smooth. It is okay to have some chunks. Stir back in the linguica. ***You do not need to blend. That is totally optional.***.
Since Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup is a rustic comfort food historically made in homes all over the country, there isn't just one way to make. Caldo de Res translates to "Beef Soup" in Spanish. Other names for this soup in Mexico are "cocido" or "puchero". To prepare a pot of this comforting soup, the beef and bones are simmered over the stove until the meat is tender and results in an aromatic broth. Caldo verde, a traditional Portuguese soup of shredded greens, potatoes, and sausage, is slightly thickened by partially mashing some of the potatoes.