Bacon Beef Butternut Squash. What an amazing and simple recipe this is. Butternut squash stuffed with Grass-fed ground beef, bacon and onions. Then to "top" it off, caramelized onions in balsamic vinegar and it is heavenly.
Scoop most of the pulp from the squash and add to beef mix. The savory flavor of the cooked bacon blends perfectly with the butternut squash and the sweetness of the cranberries and maple syrup. This roasted butternut squash recipe is crazy easy to make. You can have Bacon Beef Butternut Squash using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bacon Beef Butternut Squash
- Prepare 1 of Butternut Squash.
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 3 small of onions.
- You need 1 of stock celery.
- It’s 6 slice of nitrite free bacon.
- You need 3 tsp of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 of himalayan sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 dash of balsamic vinegar.
The perfect paleo side dish or weeknight sheet pan meal, TOTAL winner! The butternut squash is rich and a little sweet and the bacon gives the whole thing a nice salty, smoky flavor. You might be tempted to skip the main dish and just eat this for dinner, and I can guarantee you that you'll be sneaking pieces of it off the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven. Roast uncovered until beef and squash are tender, adding more soaking liquid if needed to keep meat covered.
Bacon Beef Butternut Squash step by step
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out stringy bits and seeds. Place squash in pyrex baking pan with 1" water and cook for an hour. (More or less depending on size of squash.).
- Chop 2 onions and celery. Set aside 3rd onion for later..
- Cook 6 slices of bacon in cast iron skillet. Remove and let cool before crumbling in separate bowl..
- Cook beef in bacon fat, salt and pepper to taste. Put in bowl with bacon and mix..
- Cook chopped onion and celery in skillet with bacon/beef fat. Place in bowl with bacon and beef..
- Pull the butternut squash out and allow to cool. Scoop soft squash into the bowl with bacon, beef, onion, and celery. Mix and add cinnamon, salt and pepper. Scoop back into butternut squash shells. And allow to bake 20 minutes longer..
- Slice remaining onion. Toss in skillet and cook until soft. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar and allow to caramelize..
- Toss caramelized onions on top of stuffed squash and serve..
Coat squash with oil and toss with remaining thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cut the butternut squash into halves and remove its seeds with a spoon. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the butternut squash halves on it. Add the butternut squash to the pan, and cook until tender. If needed, add a tablespoon of butter at a time to the skillet to keep the butternut squash from sticking.