Korean fried chicken. If you don't tolerate heat at all leave it out altogether do a taste test and add a tiny amount if you feel it needs a little heat. Nicknamed "candy chicken," Korean fried chicken is known for its addictively crunchy exterior and its thick sweet-and-spicy sauce. When made right, even the bones become crunchy enough to eat.
Korean Fried Chicken – My Favorite! I am partial to fried chicken, all kinds of fried chicken. There is nothing not to love about chicken coated in a crispy, crunchy batter and deep-fried to golden perfection. You can cook Korean fried chicken using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Korean fried chicken
- You need 2 of # chicken (I used wings and drumettes).
- It’s 1/2 cup of potato starch (you can sub tapioca or corn starch).
- It’s 1 tbsp of fresh ginger.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh garlic.
- It’s 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
- You need 4 tbsp of gochujang paste (can sub Sriracha or sambal).
- It’s 3 tbsp of sesame oil.
- You need 1 oz of Mirin (can sub rice wine vin or similar).
- It’s 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 quart of grapeseed oil (can sub oil of your choice) for frying.
- You need of Salt and Pepper.
Season the chicken wings with salt, pepper and the grated ginger. Toss the chicken with the cornflour until completely coated. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper. Korean fried chicken or KFC, usually called chikin (치킨, from the English "chicken") in Korea, refers to a variety of fried chicken dishes created in South Korea, including the basic huraideu-chikin (후라이드 치킨, from the English "fried chicken") and spicy yangnyeom-chikin (양념 치킨, "seasoned chicken").
Korean fried chicken step by step
- Heat your oil to 350°- 375°.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl put your potato starch. Individually coat your chicken..
- While oil is hot, fry your chicken for 12-14 minutes. Your going to double fry**.
- In a skillet, heat your sesame oil. Add your garlic, ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add your mirin, soy sauce and gochujang. Simmer for 5 minutes and add your brown sugar at the the last minute..
- After you're 12 minutes of frying the chicken, pull out of the oil and let sit for 1 minute. Add your chicken back into the oil and fry for an additional 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. (This assures your chicken is super crispy).
- After your chicken is fried for the second time, toss in your sauce or serve it on the side and enjoy! You can also garnish with sesame seeds and scallions if you want more presentation..
In South Korea, fried chicken is consumed as a meal, an appetizer, anju. For the pickled radish cubes: Combine the rice vinegar, water, superfine sugar and salt in a large bowl, whisking until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Korean fried chicken is unique in that the sauce is the perfect blend of savory, sweet and spicy for a truly addictive end result. I can say with confidence that my homemade version of this dish is just as good as what you'll get in a restaurant. Coat the fried chicken with the sauce: When the chicken is done, reheat the sauce until it bubbles.