Pasta Fagioli. The BEST Pasta e Fagioli Soup! And yes, it's even better than Olive Garden's!. This Italian style soup is loaded with hearty ground beef, fresh vegetables, creamy beans, tender pasta and delicious herbs all in a rich and savory broth.
Pasta Fagioli – an Italian Staple. Pasta e fagioli, or just pasta fagioli. I knew—and loved—this dish years before I knew how to spell it. You can cook Pasta Fagioli using 25 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pasta Fagioli
- You need 16 oz of chicken stock.
- It’s 16 oz of beef broth.
- Prepare 1/2 pound of hot Italian sausage.
- It’s 1/2 pound of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 cup of ditalini pasta.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of fine diced yellow onion.
- You need 1 cup of diced celery.
- You need 1 cup of diced carrots.
- It’s 4 of large garlic cloves minced.
- You need 2 tbsp of fresh minced basil.
- You need 2 tbsp of fresh minced flat leaf parsley.
- Prepare 15 oz of can diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 15 oz of can red kidney beans.
- You need 15 oz of can great northern beans.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 4 of rosemary sprigs.
- It’s 3 of bay leafs.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- You need of Fresh Parmesan.
- You need of Evo.
- You need 6 oz of tomato paste.
- It’s 8 oz of tomato sauce.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 tsp of white sugar.
Growing up in New Jersey, pasta e fagioli is a staple on every red sauce place's menu, along with spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, alfredo and cannolis. Pasta e fagioli translates to "pasta and beans." Pasta and beans may not sound terribly enticing (unless you're me), but I assure you that this Italian stew is truly irresistible. Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter and oil.
Pasta Fagioli step by step
- Cook the ground beef and sausage and set aside.
- Add evo and sauté the carrots celery and onion for about 10 minutes and add the garlic and sauté for another 5.
- Add all fresh and dried seasonings and mix well with the veggies and let cook about 5 minutes. Add the meat and mix well and let come together for a few minutes. Add the broth and stock, diced tomatoes and sauce, sugar, water and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on medium for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes check if it needs salt and pepper and add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add beans and pasta and cook for another 20 minutes covered.
- Serve with fresh parmesan and crusty bread.
Add broth; bring to a boil. Add the beans, tomatoes, spinach and salt. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute carrot, celery and onion until soft. Pasta e fagioli (pronounced [ˈpasta e faˈdʒɔːli]), meaning "pasta and beans", is a traditional Italian soup.