Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella). Stracciatella, an Italian version of egg drop soup, is made for days like these. "Stracciatella" means "little shred" in Italian, which well describes the "shreds" of egg in this light, nourishing soup. At its essence, the soup is hot chicken broth into which a paste of beaten egg and Parmesan cheese. Stracciatella alla romana is the egg drop soup of Italian cooking.
Many Italians remember eating hot stracciatella growing up. Like pastina, stracciatella is also considered an Italian "cure-all" because it instantly makes you feel better. It is perfect for the fall and winter! You can cook Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella)
- It’s 3 cups of good chicken stock.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- You need 1/2 cup of Italian style bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated pecorino Romano cheese.
It's incredibly simple to make and is perfect on chilly days. Leave it to the Italians to have beautiful words for even the most unglamorous of concepts. "Stracciatella" (strah-chi-ah-tay-lah) literally means "rags" in Italian. Italian egg-drop soup, Stracciatella, is traditionally a light soup made with just chicken broth, eggs and herbs. We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal.
Italian egg drop soup (stracchiatella) instructions
- Bring chicken stock to a boil on your stove top. ( I make my own chicken stock according to my nonis recipe but, you can use any flavor or store bought stock, broth, or bullion.).
- While your waiting for your stock to boil, crack and scramble your eggs with a tbsp of water, then add your bread crumbs and cheese to your eggs and mix well..
- When your stock is at a boil, start pouring the egg mixture slowly, at a steady stream into the stock while stirring it w a fork to make sure you break up the egg while its hitting the stock. The egg cooks immediately..
- Let the soup boil a minute after all the egg is stirred in then, turn off the heat and your soup is ready. I like to add green onion, and a dash of hot sauce to mine along w some extra cheese. Please add whatever you like to yours. This soup taste awesome w some crunchy Italian bread broken into it or on the side with butter..
Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad. This Italian Egg Drop Soup is a variation of the traditional recipe Stracciatella Alla Romana. Sauteed shallots and tomatoes add a splash of color and texture. Italian egg drop soup is a true comfort food. Stracciatella alla romana is often whipped up when someone is feeling a bit under the weather.