Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries. Portobello mushroom slices coated in breadcrumbs and baked until golden brown, crispy and delicious! I am a big fan of fries and an even bigger fan of mushrooms so when I came across the idea of combining the two to make mushrooms fries I was immediately sold and just had to make them! Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
I'm not a huge fan of frying, so I came up with a baked version. After a few trial and errors, I finally found the perfect recipe that actually ended up quite different than Veggie Grill, but still amazing, nonetheless (and much healthier!). Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko. You can have Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries
- It’s 1 of peanut or coconut oil if frying.
- It’s 5 large of portobello mushrooms.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/4 cup of finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- You need 2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley or thyme..
- It’s 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 of Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Prepare 3 of eggs, lightly beaten.
- It’s 1 of to make with tempura style omit flour, and bread crumbs, and replace with tempura follow directions that come with the batter..
Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Finish with sprinkling with more cheese Crispy Portobello Fries coated in Panko with your choice of seasonings, then baked or fried until they become crispy, crunchy perfection. Fried mushrooms are everywhere on menus in the Midwest. I grew up eating them, and they've always been a favorite.
Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries step by step
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into 1/4-inch strips..
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmigiano, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper..
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko.Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Finish with sprinkling with more cheese.
- If baking place on a parchment lined baking dish, and bake at 425 for 8-12 mins, or until golden..
Make portobello mushroom fries for a simple, healthy alternative to fried mushrooms or French fries. Baked portobello fries are great for a game day appetizer, or a side dish to steak or chicken. Set coated mushrooms on baking sheet with wire rack. Brush olive oil over the mushrooms. While the mushrooms are baking, prepare the garlic dipping sauce.