Chicken and Rice / Kao Mun Kai. Chicken rice in China and in Singapore, the chicken is often boiled, then doused in a bath of ice water, in Thailand that is usually not the case, especially for street food style khao man gai (ข้าวมันไก่) – instead the chicken is just boiled and left to cool down on its own. Khao Mun is a more "high end" street vendor dish because it's more complicated to make, and requires a fairly sophisticated cart and tools. Khao = rice, Mun = fat.
Remove and discard (or eat LOL) most of the chicken trimmings.. Kota Khao Mun Kai is an excellent and famous Chicken Rice restaurant in Phuket Town. Everyone in Phuket knows this place, expats of locals. You can cook Chicken and Rice / Kao Mun Kai using 26 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Rice / Kao Mun Kai
- You need of Chicken and Soup.
- You need 1 of whole chicken/ clean.
- Prepare 2 cup of vegetables like parsnips,cabbage…
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- You need 2 clove of garlic.
- It’s 3 of coriander roots.
- It’s 2 1/2 liter of water.
- You need of Rice.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chicken skin,trim from chicken.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of jasmine rice.
- Prepare 1 clove of ginger.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- You need of Ginger dipping sauce.
- Prepare 20 of fresh hot chili or less.
- You need 4 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 clove of ginger.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fermented soya bean.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fish sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of sweet soy sauce,or dark soy sauce.
- You need 1 bunch of coriander.
- It’s 1 tbsp of lime juice.
It has been opened for more than two decades and is still running strong without having changed a thing. Khao man, or Khao Mun Gai is the Thai version of the classic Hainanese chicken rice from southern China. Comes with easy – to – follow recipe. And everything you need to make our famous Khao Man Gai in your own kitchen.
Chicken and Rice / Kao Mun Kai instructions
- Clean well chicken with salt ( use extra salt ) ,rub whole chicken with salt ,clean in runny water,trim unwanted fat ,save some skin to work on rice ..meanwhile soak rice in water ,set aside.
- On large soup pot add water ,bring to boil,add chicken and another ingredients ,cover lid, after 5 mins of hot boil..spoon the bubbles on surface out …reduce to low heat then let it simmer until all are soft ,chicken cooked approximately 45 mins.
- Make dipping sauce ,mix everything together by finely chop and mix or use pestle and mortar.
- Cook rice,choose large sauce pan ,set on medium heat ,stir in chicken skin with crushed garlic and slices of ginger ,stir until chicken turn brown ,add soaked rice ,stir to mix ,reduce to low heat ,add stock from soup pot one cup of stock from soup ,take out chicken skin ,let rice cook slowly,by cover lid ,this should be done in 15 mins ,open lids and check ..if rice cook heat off ,but still cover lid to make rice more soft.
- Whole chicken is ready now ,must be tender,can tear apart or chop easily ,take from soup pot ,let it cool enough to chop as your desire.
- To serve ..one plate of rice and chicken with small bowl of dipping sauce ,one bowl of soup ,garnish with coriander and extra cucumber.
Available to pick up at our store! Add more water as needed to cover the chicken and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Take the chicken out and let rest before de-boneing it and slicing it into pieces. Strain the chicken broth and then save for later use in the rice and soup. Eim Khao Mun Kai's chicken rice.