Chinese scallion pancake. Chinese Scallions pancake also known as green onion pancake or Congyoubing is one of the famous and traditional Chinese street foods and ideal Chinese breakfast. Those crispy and aroma pancakes are available all around China. Making your own scallion pancake at home is easy and enjoyable.
The tasty appetizers are the perfect "sponge" for mopping up extra sauce and can be made ahead of time for convenience. Though the pan-cake comes out slightly different, it is quite satisfying too. And traditionally version instructions are listed in Chinese scallion pancake and a Shanghai style version in scallion pancakes. You can cook Chinese scallion pancake using 8 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chinese scallion pancake
- You need 250 gm of all purpose flour.
- You need of Sugar 1 tbn.
- It’s 2 of green onion/spring onion bunches chopped finely.
- It’s of salt to taste or 3/4 tsp.
- You need 80 ml of hot water.
- Prepare 70 ml of cold water.
- You need 2 of tbn oil for dough, 1 ts for rolling,1 Tb for cooking.
- Prepare of additional flour for dusting.
Learn how to cook the real-deal scallion pancakes that are light and crispy. Layered flatbread, pronounced bing (饼) in Chinese, is a staple in northern China. The making of the Chinese scallion pancake is straightforward, albeit there are a few tricks to make it crusty, fluffy, and with distinct layers. Let's dive into the details right away.
Chinese scallion pancake instructions
- Place all the dry ingredients, besides green onions in a mixing bowl.
- Add hot water and oil first and mix roughly for a minute.
- Then pour in the cold water and knead into soft pliable dough.
- Rest the dough covered aside for 20 minutes.
- Use this time to clean and finely chop the green onions.
- After resting period place the dough on the working surface or rolling board.
- Dust some flour and reknead the dough to make it slightly firm.
- Make batches of handful of dough ready to be rolled flat.
- Without adding much flour for dusting roll out a handful into square/round shape as desired.
- Next brush 1 ts oil on the surface and add a generous amount of green onions.
- Gently Start rolling into cylindrical log.
- Now fold/roll into a circle and rest aside while you create the rest of the rolls with the remaining dough in similar fashion.
- Flatten the roles sough using your hand slightly and roll into a disc again using some flour dusting if needed.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and spread it evenly and place the flat bread on it.
- Cook on both sides on medium-Low heat till done and take off heat.
- Serve hot with soy sauce or any spicy sauce of your choice.
- Tip: You may choose to serve after cutting in pizza like cones with at sauce.
Note: Scallion is also known as green onion and spring onions in some parts of the world. For the longest time, I was deterred from trying to make Chinese Scallion Pancakes because the traditional Chinese version requires lard, is labor intensive, and definitely tests your patience. You have to knead the dough, rest it, roll it out with a rolling pin, roll it up like a cinnamon roll, and then roll it out again into a pancake shape. Scallion pancake is a pan-fried flatbread. So easy to make but very delicious.