Creamed Peas (and sometimes carrots). Creamy sauce with a simple salt and pepper seasoning nicely complements peas and carrots in this colorful side dish. While peas and carrots cook, melt butter in a medium saucepan and then add flour, salt and pepper to form a roux. When peas and carrots are cooked, drain them and place in your serving bowl.
Back in the days, this dish was prepared from a Mix the plant-based cream and cornstarch in a bowl using a whisk. Pour this mixture into the pan and stir. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. You can have Creamed Peas (and sometimes carrots) using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Creamed Peas (and sometimes carrots)
- Prepare 2 cups of frozen peas (or peas and carrots).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of + 1 tbs water – divided.
- Prepare 1 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1-2 tsp of white sugar (or honey).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s 2-3 tsp of cornstarch.
Cook vegetables according to directions on package. Creamed Peas and Potatoes are a versatile side dish with vibrant crisp peas and tender potatoes. Creamy comfort food at its finest! Creamed Peas and Potatoes was always a favorite side dish growing up.
Creamed Peas (and sometimes carrots) instructions
- Place veggies and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Continue to simmer, covered, about 2 minutes..
- Add milk and heat back up to almost simmering. Stir 2 tsp cornstarch and last tbs water together in a small bowl. Slowly pour into saucepan, stirring constantly..
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. If sauce seems too thin stir an additional tsp cornstarch into a little more water and mix in. Serve hot and enjoy!.
My mother would add fresh peas from our garden along with tender chunks of beautiful. Creamed Peas and Potatoes are a classic southern side dish. This recipe is a little different in that it has Velveeta cheese melted into the creamy sauce. Peel potatoes and cut larger potatoes in half. Skins can be left on, if desired.