Chicken and sausage gumbo. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. The secrets to a good gumbo aren't anything fancy either, but if you take the time to do them right, your gumbo will be just as good as the ones served in New Orleans. Make sure to brown the sausage and chicken until they both have crispy caramelization.
Cut the meat from the bones and discard the bones. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is the ultimate Louisiana comfort food! This gumbo starts with a dark roux as its base. You can cook Chicken and sausage gumbo using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and sausage gumbo
- Prepare 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed.
- It’s 1 link of Cajun sausage sliced.
- You need 1/2 cup of fine chopped onion.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fine chopped green bell.
- Prepare 4 of fresh red chiles fine chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of celery fine chopped.
- Prepare 3 of large garlic minced.
- You need leaves of Bay.
- Prepare 32 oz of bold chicken stock.
- It’s 1/2 of + 1bsp oil (canola).
- It’s 1/2 of + 1 tbsp flour.
- Prepare of Cajun seasoning (I use Webber).
Once the roux is ready and combined with water, add sautéed chopped green bell pepper, onion and celery to the pot. Sear the chicken and sausage, too, before throwing them in, and letting the gumbo cook low and slow for hours. Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. While simmering, saute sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned on all sides.
Chicken and sausage gumbo step by step
- Add oil to a cast iron enamel pot and sprinkle in flour and make a dark chocolate roux and put into a separate glass container.
- No need to wipe the pot so just add your sliced sausage to the pot and sear and remove.
- Now add the chicken thighs and sear both sides and remove.
- Add in all the veggies, sweat down until really soft.
- Add in the chicken, sausage, tbsp Cajun seasoning, chicken stock, 1 cup water, bay leaves and cover until the chicken is ready to be pulled, about 30 to 40 minutes (I remove them and pull them so I can get rid of any leftover fatty pieces) add the pulled chicken back to the pot.
- Whisk in your roux and simmer on low until it starts to thicken and taste for seasonings (if you need to add a little water to thin you can) add hot sauce to taste.
Taste gumbo and season lightly with salt. After simmering, add chicken, chopped scallions, and parsley to gumbo. This Easy Chicken Gumbo recipe is like a party for your mouth! Vibrant, spicy flavor simmered to perfection, this combination of chicken, sausage, okra, and veggies is cooked in a creamy creole spiced broth that is just pure comfort. Chicken and Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo.