Fried Chicken Gizzards. The lowly chicken gizzard is transformed into a thing of beauty when simmered until tender, marinated in spicy seasonings, coated in flour, and deep-fried. They're a nice addition to a tray of wings. Place gizzards in a pot of cold water.
Below are the easy step-by-step instructions on how to achieve an addictive super crispy and tasty fried gizzards. After thoroughly washing the chicken gizzards, place the gizzards in a pot with onions celery, bay leaves, thyme and smashed garlic and then salt to taste. In this Southern Fried Chicken Gizzard recipe, gizzards are marinated in a spicy bath of buttermilk and hot sauce then battered in a seasoned flour and fried to golden brown perfection!! You can have Fried Chicken Gizzards using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Fried Chicken Gizzards
- You need 1 packages of chicken gizzards.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s 2 cup of flour.
- Prepare 3 cup of Cooking oil (I used canola).
- Prepare 1 of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 of seasoning salt.
- Prepare 1 of ground white pepper.
Serve with my Collard Greens or Mustard Greens and Hot Water Cornbread for a truly Southern meal. According to my grandmother, chicken gizzards should be parboiled before being breaded for frying. A personal story.while I attended college I lived off chicken gizzards. There was a Maryland Fried Chicken Restaurant in walking distance of my college.
Fried Chicken Gizzards step by step
- Mix egg, buttermilk and dash of water in a bowl.
- Prepare cooking oil, heat to about 350°, My suggestion is to deep fry them..
- Boil chicken gizzards for about 5-10 minutes before frying. I used some seasonings in the boil as I was also preparing chicken stock. After gizzards have finished boiling remove from water and allow them to cool..
- Once cool, begin to season gizzards to your liking. Once seasoned dip pieces in egg mixture then flour (you can repeat this step for extra battered gizzards).
- Place chicken gizzards in deep fryer. Cook about 10 minutes (they will float when they are done).
- Remove from deep fryer, drain on paper towels and enjoy. Hot sauce and ranch dressing go well with them..
This gizzard meal was so delicious, yummy, and filled me up. Poultry and turkey gizzards are a delicacy in South Africa, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and other parts of the world. Along with chicken liver, hearts and kidneys, they're used in a multitude of dishes, from soups and stews to homemade snacks. You can fry, steam, sauté, grill or bake them, put them on skewers or add them to gravy and sauces. How to Make My Mississippi Boy's Deep Fried Chicken Gizzards.