Enchilada Sauce. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, bouillon cube and some salt and.
Once you try this enchilada sauce recipe, you'll never buy canned again! If you love enchiladas as much as I do, then making homemade enchilada sauce from scratch is a must! Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce Ingredients: To make this enchilada sauce recipe, you'll need (affiliate links included):. You can have Enchilada Sauce using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Enchilada Sauce
- Prepare 4 of large dried California pepper pods.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 of large onion.
- It’s 28 ounces of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of whole leaf dried oregano.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of extra dark cocoa powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- It’s 4 cups of water plus more for thinning if necessary.
- You need As needed of brown sugar if the peppers scorched during toasting.
Chili powder: As in, the classic American* chili powder, such as this. This is the main seasoning in this simple sauce, so I recommend buying a good-quality brand. Add onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce. Mix together and then stir in the water.
Enchilada Sauce instructions
- Boil the water. Remove the skin from tomato. Dice the tomato and set aside..
- Heat a skillet dry. Toast the peppers till just fragrant. Set aside add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic to the skillet to toast also..
- Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Add the peppers to the boiling water for 20-30 minutes covered. This will rehydrate and soften your peppers..
- Add the peppers and liquids in the peppers, to a blender. Now add the oregano, onion, salt, cumin, garlic, and tomatoes, to a blender. Liquidfy the ingredients..
- In a skillet heat the oil. Pour the ingredients from the blender into the hot skillet with the oil in it. Stir in the chocolate..
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. It should be not thin, but just a bit thick, like a tomato ketchup..
- It may not be super delicious on its own. If it's too bitter add a little brown sugar at a time till the bitterness is toned down. It should taste good allowing the sauce and food you put it on compliment each other..
- Serve I hope you enjoy!!!.
Use in place of canned enchilada sauce. Homemade Enchilada Sauce is a must-have staple that will enhance any Tex-Mex or south-of-the-border dish. The great thing about my homemade enchilada sauce recipe is that can control the ingredients to keep out the preservatives or MSG that are in some store-bought versions. Enchilada sauce also happens to freeze quite well, so I've gotten in the habit of making an oversized batch and freezing a few portions. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.