Skillet Mac 'n' Cheese. Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe – Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food! This easy cheesy sauce combined with macaroni and a buttery, crunch topping makes for the best homemade Mac and Cheese! Tips and what you will need: a large skillet and a good whisk is just about all you need!
There is no need to bake this easy mac and cheese. If you are looking for a baked version, try our Buttermilk Mac and Cheese.; You can use whatever type of cheddar cheese you prefer. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir the cheese into the sauce, one handful at a time, until melted and smooth. You can cook Skillet Mac 'n' Cheese using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Skillet Mac 'n' Cheese
- It’s 150 g of dried macaroni,.
- It’s of Around 300 ml milk, or a dairy free alternative,.
- You need 80 g of cheese grated, (I used 30% reduced fat cheddar),.
- It’s 22 g of plain flour, (1.5 heaped tbsp),.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of unsalted butter,.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of garlic granules,.
- You need of Dried crispy onions (can buy in most supermarkets),.
- It’s 1 of tiny bit of grated nutmeg,.
- It’s of Salt and pepper to season.
- It’s of Equipment Needed:.
- It’s 1 of large cast iron skillet.
Stir in mustard, salt, and paprika. Add the cooked pasta and stir gently until the pasta and sauce are evenly combined. Bring it up to a boil over medium-high heat. I have another version of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese posted, but this one is different with the cheeses it includes and several other ingredients.
Skillet Mac 'n' Cheese step by step
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions in salted boiling water until almost completely cooked but still with a firm bite then drain off. Heat the iron skillet up over a medium low heat. Add in the butter and allow to melt down slowly. Add in the flour and stir into the butter, add in half the milk and combine by stirring continuously. Do this until most of the lumps are gone..
- Season with black pepper and a pinch of salt, then grate in some nutmeg to taste (don't add too much as it's a strong flavour). Keep mixing over the heat for a few minutes until it becomes smoother then add in the garlic granules and after stirring through the sauce add in half the grated cheddar cheese. Stir the cheese gently through..
- Preheat your ovens grill to medium. Add the cooked drained pasta into the skillet, season again with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Add the remaining milk little by little until you achieve a nice consistency to the sauce (you may not need to use all the milk). Stir through well until the pasta is evenly coated in the thick cheese sauce..
- Sprinkle over the other half of the cheese and grill until golden and bubbly. Remove from the grill and sprinkle over the crispy onions. Grill for a further minute or two then it's ready. Enjoy! :).
In addition, it adds a bit of heat with the hot sauce. This recipe calls for homemade bread crumbs. This mac and cheese recipe is for those of you that love a very creamy, cheese loaded sauce. This is actually not baked at all, this is done in a skillet and ready for your family in minutes! Skillet mac and cheese is the best!