Northern Fried Chicken. Northern Chicken brings " down south comfort food " to Edmonton with their creative take on southern classics spun with a modern twist. Enjoy a cold craft beer, small batch soda pop, sparkling wine, or a great glass of bourbon while you listen to music that ties the whole experience together, and finish your meal with a great slice of pie. While the South may have a reputation for some of the country's best fried chicken, this "Northern" fried chicken from Bruce and Eric Bromberg's "Blue Ribbon Cookbook" has taken Manhattan by storm.
Blue Ribbon Cookbook by Bruce Bromberg and Eric Bromberg that will go against all previous fried chicken notions. This is half of the recipe. I would add two stirred raw eggs in a bowl. You can cook Northern Fried Chicken using 6 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Northern Fried Chicken
- Prepare 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 each of eggs.
- You need 1 dash of milk.
- It’s 1 dash of bbq sauce.
- It’s 2 lb of boneless chicken breasts.
- It’s 6 of oil.
I love fried chicken, but unfortunately, I've never had a good experience making it at home until now. It was always too messy to coat, with the resulting chicken often scorched on the outside and undercooked inside. I've tried this Northern fried chicken recipe three times now, and I've had perfect results each time. Transfer chicken to a rack set over a baking sheet.
Northern Fried Chicken step by step
- I don't have a deep fryer, so I pour my oil in a deep frying pan. Get it hot…I get it up to at least 400℉.
- Get two separate bowls…one for your dry ingredients, one for the liquids..
- In one bowl throw the flour in and season it up. I use garlic pepper, paprika, salt, Italian seasonings, etc. Use what you like..
- In the other bowl, beat the eggs senseless, add a splash of milk and your sauce (some use hot sauce, some use wostershestershire, I like a tangy bbq like "open pit") and whip it all together well..
- Get your defrosted boneless chicken breast and rinse it, pat it dry…water and oil don't mix 😉 Cut the chicken into even strips..
- Dip the chicken into the dry flour/seasonings mix, shake off excess, then dip into the egg wash, then back into the flour again sort of "shaking gently" to remove the excess flour and then toss into the hot oil..
- Keep an eye on it so when the chicken submerged in the oil has a browned coating, flip it over so the other side can cook. Make sure it's nice and browned and the chicken should be cooked all the way through. Obviously want to check and make sure by cutting into the larger pieces (unless you cut them all to be exactly the same size and weight and thickness) and making sure there is no pink..
- Repeat previous two steps as necessary. When you take the chicken out of the oil, I usually place on a paper plate with paper towel so I can pat dry the excess oil left on them as they come out..
Hand breaded, freshly prepared and Finger Lickin' Good®! Our chicken isn't made the fast way or the easy way. Each fresh batch of the world's best chicken starts with our cooks inspecting each individual piece. Southern Fried Chicken, is a British-based fast food outlet headquartered in Reading, England. It operates a franchise network in the United Kingdom and worldwide.