Creamy Cajun Red Beans. Cajun-country reviewer here to say this is about as authentic as it gets, though technically a Cajun home cook doesn't use recipes or measurements. Prechopped vegetables and canned beans keep this version of red beans and rice simple yet satisfying. Partially mash beans with a fork.
Warm corn bread makes a great accompaniment. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. This makes your red beans creamy! You can cook Creamy Cajun Red Beans using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Creamy Cajun Red Beans
- Prepare of Olive oil.
- Prepare 1 lb of dry small red beans (not kidney).
- It’s 1 lb of smoked sausage.
- You need 1 lb of smoked ham.
- It’s 2 of green bell peppers.
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- Prepare 4 stalks of celery.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1/2 stick of butter.
- It’s 3 of chicken bouillon cubes.
- It’s of Water.
- You need 1 of Tblsp garlic powder.
- You need 1 of Tblsp Cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp of fresh parsely.
- You need of Few dashes of Worcestershire.
- Prepare Pinch of sugar.
- Prepare of Cooked rice (your choice).
- It’s of Green onions chopped.
From lima beans and pinto beans to red beans, we had them all and very regularly too. Red beans have a personality all their own, and the South really knows how to bring that personality out. Progresso® beans provide a tasty addition to this delicious recipe that also features rice and sausage – perfect for a Cajun dinner. A quick version of the traditional Cajun Red Beans and Rice.
Creamy Cajun Red Beans step by step
- Sort out and soak the red beans the night before.
- Cut up all your meats and veggies and start browning the sausage in a pot with just a bit of olive oil.
- Add the peppers, celery, onion and garlic on top of the sausage and stir to combine. Next add the butter and stir till melted.
- Add the ham and keep stirring.
- Add the red beans and enough water just to cover everything and bring to a boil.
- Then add the garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, thyme, 4 bay leaves, pinch of sugar and Worcestershire.
- After an hour add fresh parsely.
- Cook for 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours on LO barely a simmer stirring occasionally and mashing some beans on the side of the pot for more creaminess (do this towards the end) It makes a paste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with the green onions on top 😋😋😋 this time I used yellow rice but use any kind you like ENJOY 😊.
For a milder version of this Cajun specialty, substitute turkey sausage links or chunks of cooked ham for the spicy. SLOW COOKED BEANS: Versatile creamy red beans are easy to prepare & ready to serve. Ideal for dirty rice, jambalaya, gumbo, red beans & rice, chowders & other favorite Cajun & Creole meals. The ingredients in this vegan red beans and rice recipe are simple: onion, celery, green pepper, tomatoes, and red beans. What makes the zesty flavor is the homemade Cajun spices: cayenne, paprika, oregano, and thyme.