Vegan General Tso’s Tofu. This General Tso's tofu is deliciously battered and fried until crispy and then drenched in the most amazing sauce. It's savory and sweet with the perfect amount of spice and all things nice. It's also pretty quick to make and super high in protein.
Most likely you'll want to buy her cookbooks after making a few. My General Tso's tofu is the perfect balance of spicy, sweet, and savory. This recipe is a reader request – thanks Marshette! You can have Vegan General Tso’s Tofu using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan General Tso’s Tofu
- Prepare 1 block of tofu (medium).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s of For the sauce.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Prepare 3 tablespoon of apple vinegar.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of raw sugar (I just used white sugar).
- Prepare 1-3 tablespoon of sambal (just to your liking) * very spicy *.
- You need 1/3 cup of vegetable stock.
- It’s 1 tsp of cornstarch.
- You need 1 tablespoon of chili sauce (loa gan ma).
- It’s 3-5 of dry thai chilies or 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
Much like Singapore Noodles, I had never actually tried General Tso's stir fry before. But from what I hear, it's. To make Crispy Tofu: Cut tofu block into two broad slabs. Wrap tofu slabs in paper towels, and place between two cutting boards.
Vegan General Tso’s Tofu step by step
- Drain water from tofu, wrap in paper towels to soak up the water, put something on top of it to hold it down, it will soak the the moisture faster that way, set aside..
- Start making the sauce.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, vinegar, samba,sugar,cornstarch,vegetable stock, mix, set aside..
- Back to tofu, unwrap, and cut. Cut in the middle, then flip the two pieces on to is sides and cut them again, then cut into rectangles.(after I had it cut 4 times I put 2 on top of each and cut in rectangles as you see in the last picture).
- Salt and pepper tofu add to air fryer on 390 for 15 mins, half way shake them well… (can do in oven on 360 on wire rack till golden brown).
- Notes-Make sauce, don’t heat pan up before adding anything. Turn heat on after the sweet chili sauce, peppers flakes, and garlic are in the pan..
- Make sauce right before tofu is done. On med heat, in frying pan, add chili sauce, garlic, and dry Thai chilies,cook for about a min while stirring, then add the vegetable stock mixture (Stir the vegetable stock mixture before adding,) this will bubble up and become thicker stir constantly, add the tofu, mix and make sure all tofu is coated with sauce. Remove from heat..
- Sever over rice and any steamed vegetables..
- Notes- this is the kinda of tofu I used, I never cooked with it before, I did go though two rounds, soaking up the water, as you can see my towels was too wet, and I just did it again. I did have cheap paper towels too. I used a plate and a can to add some weight, that work out great. It did take a little longer in my air fryer, because my tofu still had moisture in it..
- This was my first time cooking tofu and using some of these sauces that was hard to find I ended up finding stuff at Kroger’s,Walmart didn’t have any of it! I didnt have the peppers I couldn’t find them so I used red pepper flakes..
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, oil, garlic, and ginger in resealable container. Add tofu, and toss to coat. Repeat this step with the rest of the tofu and cornstarch. Cook the tofu cubes in a skillet with a little bit of oil over medium-high heat until all sides are golden brown. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.