Fermented Kiwi Cabbage Chow Chow. Fermented foods are good for you full of great probiotics. Fermented foods are all the rage right now. Most of us are familiar with fermenting cabbage to make kraut or cucumbers to make pickles, but these days a quick google will tell you how to ferment carrots, radishes, greenbeans and more.
Mix thoroughly in large agate or enamel kettle. Stir in all seasonings and mix well. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, tomatoes, onion, bell peppers and jalapeños. You can have Fermented Kiwi Cabbage Chow Chow using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fermented Kiwi Cabbage Chow Chow
- It’s 2 of large kiwi fruit.
- It’s 4 cups of cabbage thinly sliced.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of carrot cut into matchsticks.
- It’s 1 stalk of celery.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground Hungarian paprika.
- You need 1/3 cup of finely diced onion.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of pink Himalayan salt.
- Prepare As needed of 4% salt water solution.
- It’s 1 leaf of from outside of cabbage.
Toss to evenly coat with the salt. I really do love fermented fruits and vegetables, and think they are a great way to add probiotics to our diet, and to preserve the harvest. I'm blessed to have an extra refrigerator in the basement, and it's full of fermented green beans and cabbage, snow peas, and grape juice. Recipes to Nourish Fermented + Cultured Food Recipes..
Fermented Kiwi Cabbage Chow Chow instructions
- Peel and thinly slice the kiwi. Slice the cabbage..
- Slice the carrots into matchsticks. Add carrots to the cabbage. Slice the celery and onion thin..
- Mince the onion and garlic, or buy the garlic already minced. Add the salt. Massage everything together allow to rest covered for an hour and a half. This is going to produce some of the liquids..
- 4% salt water solution is 4 tablespoons kosher salt to 4 cups water. Non-chlorinated and no fluoride in water. Now you won't need this much unless you are making a bunch of this stuff. So 1 tablespoon kosher or pink Himalayan salt to 1 cup water. If using table grind salt use 1 teaspoon to 1 cup. Add the spices and mix well. Add the spice mix well. Heat the water to dissolve the salt in the water..
- Put the mixture into a sterilized jar. Press the mixture down, I used my rolling pin stick to tamp it down..
- Add the large piece of cabbage leaf cut to size of jar opening. Add your weight on top and add salty water solution to top off if necessary. Seal the top and check the liquid level regularly. Do this for at least 2 weeks to ferment. When you open skim the top to remove anything that should not be there. I hope you enjoy!!!!.
See more ideas about Chow chow relish, Chow chow, Canning recipes. With sauerkraut and kimchi, the shredded or chopped cabbage is fermented in a salty brine. The end result is a preserved form of cabbage that has a nice, tangy zing to it. Sauerkraut: Is generally made from green cabbage. The cabbage is very finely shredded.