Thai Basil Chicken / Pork. Heat large skillet over high heat. Stir in shallots, garlic, and sliced chilies. Stir in basil and remove from heat.
In this Thai basil chicken recipe, you'll learn to cook an authentic Thai street version of the dish. Thai basil chicken, better known in Thai as pad kra pao gai (ผัดกระเพราไก่ pad ka prao gai) , is a contender for the most popular, and the most beloved Thai street food dish of all time. Thai Basil tastes like normal basil with a hint of aniseed flavour. You can have Thai Basil Chicken / Pork using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai Basil Chicken / Pork
- It’s of Chicken.
- Prepare of Pork (less soysauce & oystersauce).
- Prepare Leaves of Thai Basil.
- Prepare of Ingredient A : finely minced.
- You need 2-3 of Chilli 🌶.
- Prepare 6-7 of Garlic 🧄.
- It’s of Ingredient B : mix.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of soysauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of oystersauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of water.
Nowadays it's fairly widely available in Australia in large grocery stores and green grocers (Coles, Woolies, Harris Farms). In actual fact, the authentic version of Thai Basil Chicken is Thai Holy Basil which is different to Thai Basil. Ground Chicken/Minced Chicken: If you prefer, you can make this dish with boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite size pieces. Ground turkey, ground beef or ground pork can also be used.
Thai Basil Chicken / Pork instructions
- Stir fry A, add in meat once garlic is coloured.
- When meat is fully cooked, add B into the middle. Let it simmer for awhile before mixing.
- Add in basil leave, serve when basil leave is cooked..
Oil: Any mild oil such as vegetable oil, canola oil, peanut oil, avocado oil or coconut oil.; Garlic: I prefer fresh garlic minced. Usually, this dish is made with ground pork, but nearly any type of pork or chicken can be used. For our recipe, we used pork loin cut into thin strips. There are two keys to this dish: first, make sure you use enough basil, and second, get yourself this secret Thai ingredient: Golden Mountain Sauce (see more on this sauce below recipe). Thai Spicy Pork & Basil is adapted from Cook's Illustrated's The Best International Recipe.