Beef stew. There's no rule that beef stew needs a thickening agent. In fact, many recipes skip it, not just ours. 😉As the soup simmers, the potatoes give off plenty of starch, creating some of the most velvety. Beef Stew is simple fare – but it's a stunner!
This Beef Stew is easy to make and full of comforting flavors. I make it year-round for the entire The most important thing for beef stew is to buy the right cut, and it's surprising that cuts that start out. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can cook Beef stew using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef stew
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 lbs of stewing beef.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped onions.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of peeled, chopped carrots.
- It’s 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Prepare 1 cup of red wine.
- It’s 1 tsp of chopped rosemary.
- Prepare 2 cups of beef stock (or mushroom stock – should be dark stock).
- You need 1 cup of drained canned tomatoes whole tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 cup of peeled diced parsnips.
- You need 1 cup of peeled diced turnip or rutabaga.
- Prepare 1 cup of peeled diced potatoes.
- You need 1 cup of mushrooms sliced.
- It’s of Sauce 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp flour.
Stir up a succulent beef stew on a chilly evening. These meltingly tender beef casseroles and Asian-style spiced one-pots are perfect for casual Warm up with one of our comforting beef stew recipes. This easy beef stew recipe is my favorite. The rich beef gravy helps the hearty flavor of the potatoes and carrots to come through.
Beef stew step by step
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat the beef dry and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat in the Dutch oven or a heavy skillet..
- Add beef to the Dutch oven or your skillet and cook the meat to Brown it on each side for approximately 4 minutes and set the beef aside in a separate bowl. Reserve any liquid in the skillet or your Dutch oven..
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and cook until soft. Add the garlic and rosemary cook for another minute. Add the red wine and bring to a boil scraping any brown bits that may be on the bottom of your skillet or your Dutch oven..
- Add your stock, tomatoes and bay leaf and bring it to a boil. Return your reserved meat and any juices to your Dutch oven put the cover on and bake in the oven for an hour and a half..
- At the end of this time add the other chopped veggies, mix and cover. Bake again for another 45 minutes to an hour..
- Remove from oven and separate the meat and veggies from your liquid and put the liquid in a measuring cup you should have about two cups of liquid. Remove your bay leaf..
- To make your sauce, heat your oil in a heavy Skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook until the flour turns a nutty brown color for 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly add your reserved liquid and bring it to a boil. Reduce the Heat and simmer for approximately 5 more minutes until the liquid is slightly thickened (you want the liquid to cover the spoon). Toss the sauce with the meat and vegetables that you reserved earlier and season again with salt and pepper if necessary..
It's the perfect homemade dish for a blustery winter day. Food Network Kitchen's Beef Stew is a comforting slow-cooked dish filled with meat and veggies. This is a recipe you should always have on standby. Crock Pot Beef Stew is the ultimate comfort food. Tender chunks of beef with potatoes and carrots in a thick, hearty gravy makes for a nourishing meal any time of year!